Thursday, April 30, 2015

Three for Three {A Three Things Thursday post}

I have to say that if you could grade maternity leave, I am totally acing it. ACING IT.

1. In addition to the diapers, wipes and mesh undies, I think hospitals need to give out Kindles. Seriously. I did not have one when I was home with Miles, and I am not sure how I did it. It's easy to use while nursing and it keeps me awake during middle of the night feedings – this is clutch since I have a serious problem nodding off with Si at the boob.

 photo book covers_zpsjnjbeiei.jpg

So far, I have read:

  • "The Girl on the Train"
  • "The Husband's Secret"
  • "The Light Between Oceans" (10 percent finished)
It's really nice to actually read – not listen to an audiobook but read. It's been a long time, and it makes me feel in the loop (now I get the hype about "Girl on the Train") and feel like my brain actually works.

2. But as much as I've been reading, I am still planted on the couch and Netflix is my BFF. I'm making headway on a goal to watch the entire series of "Parenthood" (watching episode 9 of season 2 as I type this) and Jess got me hooked on "Bloodline."* I throw in some "Diners, Dive-Ins and Drives" for levity now that I watched all the "Pioneer Woman" that streaming has to offer.

*Does anyone else remember Kyle Chandler from "Early Edition"? I had a mad crush on him when I was in high school.

3. I'm really trying to work on my diet now that I'm settling into life with two kids. I know it took nine months to put on the weight, it takes time to take off ... blah, blah, blah. But I do not feel like myself and I need every sliver of her I can get. Like pants. I can't even wear real pants yet and I like real pants.

Anyway, improving my diet makes me feel better. The focus is eating vegetables – all of them  – and cutting out the sugar. Here are some of the things I'm eating.

  • Bagged salad mix with salsa, sour cream or plain yogurt and guacamole. If I close my eyes, it's like eating nachos.
  • Mixed nuts with dark chocolate chips. OK, so they are sugar but a few chips are not super high in calories and they're good for heart health. Right? Right. Also, they pair really well with coffee. 
  • Lasagna with sliced zucchini instead of pasta noodles. A friend brought over a huge pan to help with meals but Mark isn't so into the vegetable substitution. Rather than serve it for dinner, I froze it in portions and have been eating it for lunch. It's not just tasty but easy to prepare, even if I'm cuddling a baby. Throw the dish in the microwave, press a few buttons and voila! A veggie-dense lunch in minutes.
What have you been rocking lately?

3 comments:

  1. Kyle Chandler is Coach Taylor on the TV version of "Friday Night Lights" and he is perfect in that role! We binge watched it when my daughter was a newborn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making want to visit the library!! and call in sick to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These books sound really good, Im going to have to look into them! :) Love my Kindle, too! Yummm...the lasagna dish sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete