1. In addition to the diapers, wipes and mesh undies, I think hospitals need to give out Kindles. Seriously. I did not have one when I was home with Miles, and I am not sure how I did it. It's easy to use while nursing and it keeps me awake during middle of the night feedings – this is clutch since I have a serious problem nodding off with Si at the boob.
So far, I have read:
- "The Girl on the Train"
- "The Husband's Secret"
- "The Light Between Oceans" (10 percent finished)
2. But as much as I've been reading, I am still planted on the couch and Netflix is my BFF. I'm making headway on a goal to watch the entire series of "Parenthood" (watching episode 9 of season 2 as I type this) and Jess got me hooked on "Bloodline."* I throw in some "Diners, Dive-Ins and Drives" for levity now that I watched all the "Pioneer Woman" that streaming has to offer.
*Does anyone else remember Kyle Chandler from "Early Edition"? I had a mad crush on him when I was in high school.
3. I'm really trying to work on my diet now that I'm settling into life with two kids. I know it took nine months to put on the weight, it takes time to take off ... blah, blah, blah. But I do not feel like myself and I need every sliver of her I can get. Like pants. I can't even wear real pants yet and I like real pants.
Anyway, improving my diet makes me feel better. The focus is eating vegetables – all of them – and cutting out the sugar. Here are some of the things I'm eating.
- Bagged salad mix with salsa, sour cream or plain yogurt and guacamole. If I close my eyes, it's like eating nachos.
- Mixed nuts with dark chocolate chips. OK, so they are sugar but a few chips are not super high in calories and they're good for heart health. Right? Right. Also, they pair really well with coffee.
- Lasagna with sliced zucchini instead of pasta noodles. A friend brought over a huge pan to help with meals but Mark isn't so into the vegetable substitution. Rather than serve it for dinner, I froze it in portions and have been eating it for lunch. It's not just tasty but easy to prepare, even if I'm cuddling a baby. Throw the dish in the microwave, press a few buttons and voila! A veggie-dense lunch in minutes.
What have you been rocking lately?