Friday, August 12, 2016

Day in the Life {Summer 2016}

Mark went back to work Thursday. After two months of bliss – aka having help in the mornings and not have to do laundry – our family is back to the grind.

As such, it seemed like the perfect time to do a day in the life post in the event that shit went down. If not, well, sorry :)

12:01 a.m. Wow! What a great start to the day. Si has been up and fussy for the better part of a half-hour. He doesn't seem to want anything, refusing milk and water, and isn't warm. So, my best guesses are night terrors or he's being a jerk. I hold him, he nods off and I put him down. He's quiet for 5 minutes and then begins screaming again. It's totally rad.

1:35 a.m. Si has finally gone back down. After nearly two hours of trading duties with Mark and spitting out comments like "It's your turn now" and "I don't want to talk; I want to sleep," he seems quiet and content.

4:30 a.m. My alarm goes off. I'm meeting friends at 5 a.m. to run, and I need to go to the bathroom, get dressed, drink coffee and have a snack.

4:55 a.m. Get slapped across the face. Well, figuratively. It's 75 degrees and 90 percent humidity. I am barely walking, and I already want to die.

5 a.m. Run. 6 miles. And, as I expected, it wasn't fabulous. I was grateful when my pals wanted to let the pace creep to 10:30 since they are pacing the 4:40 group for Fort4Fitness and are getting a feel for that pace.

6:15 a.m. Get home. Say hi to Mark. I think I even hug him, monumental as I'm not an overly affectionate person. I look for Si, with a buried hope that he'd ditch his 5:30 a.m. wakeups of late and sleep in since he had a rough night. Mark says he's awake but since he's not crying, I proceed with making a paleo banana pancake. I'm seriously living on the edge now that Whole30 is over. 

6:25 a.m. Go get Si, change diaper and put him the high chair. He eats frozen waffles and offers his juice to Elmo. By the way, Elmo was so happy to see me and his shirt has a yellow triangle.Yellow is the color of the sun.

6:50 a.m. Mark is off. I cry into my coffee (not really) as I head up the stairs. Si will play in the bathroom while I shower, and Miles has decided that he is making his own waffle this morning. In an effort to secure my parent of the year nomination, I let him. 

7:15 am. Si and I are both dressed and head downstairs. Miles has eaten and not just put his plate in the sink but washed it. YES. Any moms out there with 5-year-olds, I'll have you know that I am training an awesome husband. I put the two boys on the couch and turn on "Sesame Street." I promised Mark that I would stop being such a slacker and actually contribute to our household efforts. AKA I have to do laundry and need two hands to do it.

7:20 a.m. Laundry is in the washer and move my efforts to the kitchen. I pack my lunch, wipe down the top shelf in the refrigerator, start the dishwasher and hand wash my skillet.

7:35 a.m. I try to limit Si's TV time because, yo, he shouldn't have any at 16 months so I scoop him up and let Miles choose something more his speed. "Angry Birds Toons" it is.

7:50 a.m. After putting on make up and putting a few pieces of laundry away, I head downstairs with Si to get ready to leave. TV is turned off, shoes are put on and bags are put by the door. I ruin Si's life when I leave him on the front step to put my things in the van and warm up my coffee, the third cup of the day.

A photo posted by Kimberly (@foot.notes) on

8:10 a.m. I take our #project366 photo for which Si is still screaming. #winning #boyistired

8:30 a.m. Arrive at daycare. I untie the Simpsons tie that Miles insisted on wearing and chat with our provider about Si possibly speaking. While Si started walking just in time to hit development milestones, we're still behind on speech. He's babbling more, making more consonant sounds and using specific sounds to identify things (mostly the dog). However, a day after she expressed concern and inquired whether we would have him re-evaluated by early invention, she swears he said her name.

9 a.m. Dear Kohl's, I love that you are open at 9 a.m. (but I'd really prefer 8 a.m.). I have school shoes for Miles but he's outgrown his sneakers. Such is the life with boys and shoes. He either wears them down in eight weeks or hits a growth spurt. I pick up a pair of Stride Rites and head to work.

10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Do work. I eat multiple meals at my desk, including zoodles with marinara and chicken, a Jimmy John's unwich (no cheese) and hardboiled eggs with a side of broccoli. I also do some "research" on fitness certifications during a break. I want to get a certification for indoor cycling but nothing seems to fit into my schedule. My supervisor at the Y mentioned that he was interested in adding barre to our group ex lineup, and I find a BarreAbove workshop that could work.

A photo posted by Kimberly (@foot.notes) on

6:15 p.m. Class. Well, it was supposed to be class. I teach boxing fusion on Thursday nights but I had zero participants. I can struggle with taking attendance personal but on this night, I know it's not me. One of the regulars is on crutches, sidelined with a hip injury, and it was the first day of school for some of the county districts. I pedal on the Spinning bike to wait it out and then head home.

 photo 20160805_185947_zpsceffbsa4.jpg

7:15 p.m. Let the bedtime rush begin. Although it can be dicey, it is my favorite time with the family. Mark gives the boys baths, and I do the reading. The boys and I sit on the floor in Silas' room, and I read four or five stories. I used to keep it to three but now that Si likes to bring me books, I try to let each boy have at least two picks. Miles got "Planet Kindergarten" for his birthday, and it currently ranks among his favorites. Si is obsessed with "Don't Push the Button" – probably because you slap the button on the book multiple times. I am not so obsessed and hid it. So when we read "Bert and Ernie's Book of Opposites," he slaps Ernie's face each time I turn the page.

8 p.m. Both boys are in bed, and Si is sleeping. I sit on the living room floor and fold laundry as Mark and I catch up and watch the Olympics. I love, love, love the Olympics – not just for the sportsmanship but because it gives us a break from the Netflix routine of searching for something to watch for at least 10 minutes, watching something for 5 minutes before realizing it's lame and searching again. Also, Mark can be funny and we fill the time making up inside jokes that amuse no one but us. 

8:15 p.m. Miles comes down the steps, calendar in hand, to ask a question. I pull him onto my lap and point to what day it is and then go through the remaining months of the year. Ordinarily, I would have been quick to scoot him upstairs but with the Olympics on, I am a little more lax. He thinks they are fun to watch, and I think it's good for him to see what hard work can do. Also, they are fun to watch.

8:30 p.m. Send Miles back to bed.

9:15 p.m. Go to bed myself, saying a Hail Mary as I walk up the steps in the hopes that Si will sleep better.

And he does.

1 comment:

  1. perfect post to capture the ups and downs of parenthood with littles!