Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Carmel Marathon Training {Weeks 8 and 9}

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...” 

― Dr. Seuss, Oh, The Places You'll Go!

 photo 20160315_091839_zps4tiv5sez.jpg

And, indeed, the places where you will go – especially when you are hitting the higher mileage in half marathon training.

A hidden back entrance to a local park. A small foot bridge over a babbling creek. The winding path of a cemetery. The gym, even when it's off hours. Every foot of the Rivergreenway ... or so it seems.

 photo IMG_20160308_135938_zpszq8ocsmn.jpg

“So be sure when you step, Step with care and great tact. And remember that life's A Great Balancing Act. And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and ¾ percent guaranteed) Kid, you'll move mountains.” 

 ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, The Places You'll Go!

Training has been a great balancing of act of late. The mileage is getting a bit higher – not a lot but enough that it can make it just a bit more difficult to fit in the weekday runs between daycare and work. I've had to drop off Miles a bit earlier on the days I need to run on that schedule. Other solutions have been to wake up early an extra day during the week or run both Saturday and Sunday.

This past week, when I had training all weekend at the Y, I made the decision to take off Friday. There were lots of balls in the air to get the miles in but succeed, I did.

A photo posted by Kimberly (@healthystrides) on

“You won't lag behind, because you'll have the speed. You'll pass the whole gang and you'll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you'll be best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. Except when you don't. Because, sometimes, you won't.” 

 ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, The Places You'll Go!

Speed is a fickle thing. A relative thing. An almost intangible thing. I've been hesitant to reach for it, to touch it, to hold on to it and yet I think, maybe, I might have found it. I'm not the best of the best but wherever I go, I might have it in me to be the best of me.

But I might not because sometimes I won't. But I might. And I need to think about that as I stare down the last few weeks of training.


The weeks, in training:


Week 8

Tuesday: 6 miles, including 4 x 1 tempo
Thursday: 5 easy miles
Saturday: 10 miles
Sunday: 6.2 miles over a hilly course

Week 9 

Monday: 5 miles easy
Tuesday: 3.5 miles, runch
Thursday: 6.2 mile, including 2 x 2 tempo
Friday: 13 miles with a strong finish
Saturday: 6 miles, intervals

No comments:

Post a Comment