Monday, September 21, 2015

Splish, Splash {Muncie Mini Marathon Recap}

"The race has been delayed a half-hour. I can just do the 10K if you want."

I stared out the floor-to-ceiling windows of the Muncie Fieldhouse and watched the rain come down in sheets as I talked to Mark.

The rain, it made me nervous. In a pre-race meeting, the race director gave us an overview of the course and warned that some of it could be underwater. More of it would be wet. He advised that we don't look at our watches and just have fun.

Fun, running 13.1 miles in the rain – and I mean rain. R-A-I-N. Interesting.

Silas, he made me nervous, too. I had fed him as much as I could that morning, and I had pumped what I could. A whopping 3.5 ounces. It would tie him over but that would be it.

"Don't worry about us," Mark said. "Run your half marathon."

I handed the phone back to the volunteer from whom I had borrowed it. I couldn't decide if I was relieved or disappointed with his response.

 photo IMG_20150919_131208_zpscw8zufs8.jpg

It was 9:20 when the race director finally coerced us out to the start line. The rain had slowed from the monsoon-like storm but it was still steady. It was cool enough, perfect on any other day, that I didn't want to just stand there. I didn't want to begin visualizing what awaited me. I wanted to go. And from the conversations I heard around me, I don't think I was the only one.

But, soon enough, we were off.

 photo FB_IMG_1442705243436_zpsvuiif1eh.jpg

The course headed east on the Cardinal Greenway, through the John Craddock Wetland Nature Preserve and through McCulloch Park.

My goal for this early section of the was not to get caught up in the excitement of the race; to avoid letting those running a shorter distance push me (there was also a 5K and 10K); and walk 1 minute at each water stop.

I had told Mark that I anticipated that I would finish between 2:05 and 2:10 but thought I'd be closer to 2:10, with an average pace around 10 minutes. A good day would mean a pace of 9:59 or faster.

And so it was with a bit of anxiety that I saw the first mile beep in at 9:40. Too fast, too soon.

I tried to rein it in the second mile, a task made easier by the terrain in the wetland. It was indeed wet but there wasn't much standing water. The trail, though, was a mix of wood bridges (slick) and a crushed limestone or sand, which offered additional resistance. I also walked 30 seconds through the first water stop.

But still I clocked a 9:49 mile.

 photo FB_IMG_1442705201190_zpsrjzoo4sa.jpg

The rain continued as we made our way to McCulloch Park and, at this point, I was soaked to the point that it didn't matter. I was just grateful I had on my Nuun Energy trucker hat to keep the water out of my eyes and compression shorts that weren't causing any chafing.

If you had asked me just an hour earlier, I would have emphatically told you that I would be miserable running a half marathon in these conditions – especially as I wasn't 100 percent confident I was well-trained for the event and I am 5 months post-partum.

Yet, I wasn't hating running. I was actually kind of loving it.

I felt strong. I felt smooth. And I was passing people in an almost strategic fashion. Before I went ahead, I would mentally note if it was me being competitive or whether I was running my race. I wanted to do the half my way. I also took my walk breaks as I promised myself and drank two cups of water at each aid station.

Miles 3-6: 9:34, 9:56 (walked one minute at aid station), 9:37, 9:49

 photo FB_IMG_1442705216543_zpspwgrrbbs.jpg

I was excited when the course took a turn through Minnestrista, and I had a chance to look at the lovely Ball Estate. I had visited 2.5 years ago, meeting my brother, sister-in-law and grandma for a day. I have good memories of the trip and I tried to remember what the area looked like on that bright spring day for, on this day, the rain was still falling.

From there, the course took runners on a long out and back on the White River Greenway. It's a section that might have been quite tedious but there were some small hills to keep things interesting. They weren't anything to make you curse but enough to slow you down. I was happy, though, to feel steady as I climbed. It made me feel like the hill work I have been doing is paying off.

My one real frustration was that the course was coming up short on my watch. It was a consistent 0.2 for a while and then three-tenths. I felt like I was doing great work and yet, in a way, it wasn't going to "count." I wanted it to count. I needed it to count.

Miles 7-10: 9:30, 9:43, 9:33, 9:24

 photo FB_IMG_1442707308236_zpslju9c4lw.jpg

Pre-race, my hope was that during the final miles, if I had taken the first 10 as easy as I should have and walked as prescribed, that I could hammer it home.

But ... yeah. I hadn't done that. I could feel my legs grow tired, and I was getting antsy. I wanted to be done. I wanted to see my boys (and see how they had done). I wanted to go to the children's museum.

I bargained with myself that I would stay steady and make the last mile fastest. I could do that. I know how to finish strong.

And that's just what I did.

I wish I had a photo from the finish because I was kicking. K-I-C-K-I-N-G. My Strava stats report that I was down to a 7:23 pace in the final stretch and had been in the 7's for at least two-tenths of a mile.

Let me tell you – it felt good. It felt good to finish strong. It felt good to cross a finish line when I had been so ready to quit a couple hours earlier.

It felt good to surprise myself.

My final splits, according to my Soleus, were 9:38, 9:48, 8:48 with a total mileage of 12.8. My time is different from the watch and official clock by more than a minute so I'm taking the race clock (longer) and giving myself credit for 13.1.

The time – 2:04:27. Average pace – 9:30.

A couple of notes:

• The start delay really messed with my eating. I could feel my stomach grumble as the National Anthem was sung, and I knew it wasn't a good sign. Thankfully, I had brought an extra gel and took it 15 minutes before the start.

• There were fewer water stops than the initial race notes had indicated. I didn't notice it on the follow-up email and was a bit disappointed at mile 5. As wet as it was, I was rather dry. I needed some water ... and I needed a gel. I ended up waiting until mile 6.

• I had a popsicle. I did, I did. I rejected the first offering around mile 7 but at mile 10, it sound amazing. I ate about a quarter with my second gel before going on my way.

• I was off my predicted finish time enough that the boys missed me coming through the chute. I guess I wasn't the only one surprised by my time!

6 comments:

  1. Great job! You kept a great pace and had such a strong finish!

    I was wondering what time the race was supposed to start! That would throw off my stomach too.

    As long as I have a hat and it's not freezing, I love running in the rain. One of my fastest halves is from a race where it was pouring for most of it. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The race was scheduled for 9 a.m., which I was already leery of. I was afraid of it getting hot. HA!

      Nine was tricky as it was eating because I had breakfast around 6:15 but wasn't ready for a snack when I left for the race.

      Delete
  2. You rawk!

    At some point, you're going to stop surprising yourself and start believing in yourself, right? Because you really are stronger than you think. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stop looking at my boobs! Ha! I'll think about it ;)

      Delete