Tuesday, December 30, 2014

You + Me + Joe = Coffee Date

I think it's time to have coffee. Actually, it's always time to have coffee but we'll say more so now as my kind husband just brought me a decaf latte from Starbucks.

Yes, he is a winner.

 photo coffeedate_zps7bcf3275.jpg

But if we were having coffee, I would tell you that I always make a sad face when I order decaf at a restaurant. I feel like I should let the server or barista know that decaf gives me the sads and I wouldn't order if it I didn't have to and I really don't want to make her life more complicated.

I'd also share that I really need the caffeine. The holidays — with insane deadlines at work, increased obligations and sleep reduction — are really wearing on me. I feel like I'm back in the first trimester, trying not to nap at work and falling asleep on the couch at 8 p.m.

If we were having coffee, I'd have to pause for a moment to tell you that this latte Mark brought me is really good today. Mmm, peppermint. Plus, it takes away the initial mouth funk leftover from the southwest chicken salad I had for lunch.

I'd also be honest with you and let you know that I had a cheese bagel, too. With Buffalo Jack spread. Macaroni and cheese was my downfall with Miles. This kid? It's bagels. But it's not my fault. Obviously. Because people should not make bagels taste so good.

And since I'm being delusional, I'd probably share that I also use the following equation to justify bagels — Running 5 miles + Pregnancy = Calories for a bagel.

 photo runstreak_zps9c96bc84.jpg

On the topic of running, I'd clue you in to this whole #RWRunStreak: It's all fun and games until it gets stupid cold and you don't want to go outside. Sure, it wasn't bad when our morning temperatures were in the 40s but with highs this week in the 20s, lows in the teens and let's not talk about the "real feel" ... getting up early to run 5,280 feet is annoying.

If we were having coffee, I might hang my head a bit when I shared that this morning's 5 miles were on the treadmill. I didn't have the heart to set an alarm for this morning (see tired reference), and they have hot showers at the YMCA. I dropped off Miles at daycare a smidge early and then did a progression run on the treadmill.

And since this conversation is all about me, I might go on ... and on ... and on about how running is just getting harder. I want to run my miles at a respectable pace even though I know I need to let go of that idea.

Ouch. Damn. There will be a brief interruption to announce that Baby Boy is now big enough to kick me in the ribs while simultaneously punching me in the hips. Let the fun begin!

But forget him. Back to me. I got to interview one of my running heroes today (I can't share since it's for work), and I sounded like a complete goober. All I wanted to do is say, "YOU ARE SO AWESOME" and instead it was like, "Umm, like, hold on, yeah, can you tell me, please, umm, about that thing." I need help.

If we were having coffee, I'd have to tell you that after the interview and all that mumbling, I'm now out of coffee.

Go find someone else to talk to. Or wait for me to make another pot. Till next time ...

Previous coffee date post here.

4 comments:

  1. Bagels were my downfall when pregnant too. Specifically, fried eggs and hummus on gluten free bagels. I would have only gained a respectable amount of weight while pregnant, if not for the 10lbs of bagel weight I put on in the first 8 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not a coffee drinker in my preggo days so didn't know what I was missing. I was a bed rester too so ixnay on running. Sheesh no wonder I gained 40 lbs. This cold snap really stings after all the mild weather we've had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hope we get to have coffee some day! and i want you to know that your instagram post of running in this arctic freeze is motivating me to get outside today for a run as soon as my inlaws get here to take my kids!!! happy new year and way to go on the streak

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE coffee date posts! It's funny I often feel like all my treadmill running makes me "less" of a runner somehow. But the reality is that's how I squeeze it all in. Then I head outside (like last week) for a race pace run and realize that running race pace outside versus on the treadmill is WAY easier. So I guess it's kind of a trade off. Holy HELL these cold temps! It's miserable! None the less you're a total badass! Nuf said.

    ReplyDelete