Sunday, May 11, 2014

I'll Drink to That: Sipping Smarter with Zevia

I couldn't have been trying harder, well, if I was trying harder.

 photo 7802B217-0296-4902-A210-D55DFE77C77F_zpskl5w94gp.jpg

A cocktail in a Ball jar with a friend helping me to pose for a photo that was intended solely for the blog.

 photo 42A44A21-01FD-408A-B9AD-5BFA2386EF56_zpsl4mngrqm.jpg

Even worse, to some, the drink was my attempt to sip smarter at our friend's backyard barbecue.

 photo 8E3C9A73-AB90-425B-ACEC-001A4509C1D6_zpsxjxluvuz.jpg

After all a cocktail made with zero calorie soda by proxy has no calories ... or something like that.

Regardless, my attempt at an "adult" root beer float hit the spot as we sat in the sun and watched the kids play. It paired well with the hamburger (sans bun, if you really want to know) and was a refreshing way to wash down the sriracha slaw I made. It was also nice to feel like I was joining the crowd, which tends to drink more freely than I do. It's not that I have anything against beer but I gave up social drinking when I joined Weight Watchers, and I am still very mindful of those liquid calories.

 photo 83C6AAE9-2F3A-4877-A11A-B1E0DC0DF7F4_zpsfsyhqwk6.jpg

Zevia's Ginger Root Beer is one of my favorite indulgences, and it was a no brainer to spike it when the company sent me some of its new-formula sodas to try for summer. Zevia now features a combination of stevia and monk fruit, which are both natural and calorie free, but features the same great taste I've come to love.

Especially with vanilla vodka. And a splash of vanilla almond milk, which makes it root beer meets white Russian meets my belly. I did it after the requisite posed photos and was quite pleased.

If you are looking for something a little more, let's say, fruity, try this Calaveras recipe. I know I plan to.

 photo zeviadrink3_zps5cdeb5f3.jpg

The Calaveras


6 Basil leaves
1.5 ounces Anejo
0.5 ounce Gran Marnier
0.5 ounce Lime juice
0.5 ounce  Agave
0.5 ounce Grapefruit Juice
2 ounces Zevia Grapefruit Citrus

Shake all items over ice (except for the Zevia Grapefruit Citrus soda) Strain over ice and top with the Zevia. Enjoy!

Disclosure: I was provided samples of Zevia at no cost but was not otherwise compensated for this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment