Thursday, January 2, 2014

Core Values: 30-minute challenge

Currently: Wishing that my Thursday night class will be canceled.

The weather outside is more than frightful today - it's plain stupid. I got stuck in the snow three times this morning, twice requiring help to get out, and the evening commute wasn't much better. I'm definitely not looking forward to going out again when I anticipate class attendance will be low.

But a job is a job is a job. I will work every last person in class to sweat. And, if no one shows up, I might do this tabata workout.


As part of my personal #corevalues challenge, I want to become a more well-rounded athlete by incorporating plyometrics, improving balance and strengthening my core. This workout is designed to do just that.

A couple notes:
  • This workout is challenging, even for an advanced exerciser. If you are new to fitness or recovering from an injury, modify as necessary. Examples: March or jog in place instead of high knees; side lunges instead of lateral hops; instead of "jumping" with mountain climber, tap it in.
  • I have five tabata sets but feel free to pick and choose from the circuit to create your own workout. I like sets 1, 3 and 5 for a quick 15-minute workout.
  • This workout is not total body - I wanted a cardio exercise paired with a more traditional ab exercise.
  • Feel free to skip this and just do 5 minutes of abs.
  • HAVE FUN!
If you do this workout, let me know what you think in a comment below.

Links to exercises:
Frog jumps
Plank T
Windmill
Lunge with knee lift
Inchworm

2 comments:

  1. This workout looks awesome! I'm looking forward to trying it in the morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to week 2. I did last week's 5 exercises twice and got my abs in yesterday at Pilates. Looking forward to doing these :)

    ReplyDelete