Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Veterans Marathon Training: Week 16

For all intents and purposes, this week should have began my taper. Emphasis on should have.

While I have never been one to dislike the taper - rather, I embrace it - this cycle, I've found myself channeling my inner toddler. "Just one more double." "Just one more mile." "Just one more long run." "Just one more M&M." "Just one more minute of TV."

I blame fear - fear that I didn't do enough, fear that my injury set me back too much, fear that I'll show up to the starting line thinking, "Coulda, woulda, shoulda." And I don't want to show up scared. I want to show up feeling like I put in the miles. I want to show up knowing I did the work.

I want to show up strong.

And, yes, that last one is probably why I should embrace the taper (rather than show up overtrained and risk injury). Starting today.


The week, in training:

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: Piloxing + Ripped
Wednesday: 6.02 miles + 3.16 miles
Thursday: 5.06 miles + Ripped
Friday: Heated yoga
Saturday: Ripped + 3.25-mile trail run
Sunday: 12.23 miles + River City Rat Race 5K

4 comments:

  1. I think we are in the same boat here. I also ran 15 miles last weekend. I think two weeks will be enough time for a good taper and racing strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to know how much is enough, but not do too much. Looks perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know this, but there is nothing you can do in the last two weeks to gain fitness for your race! (I mean, we can eff it up, for sure, but let's not go there... (thinking about my race too, lol)) So! Taper away! You are ready!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taper already! I think you're good :)

    ReplyDelete