Friday, December 28, 2012

Fit to be tried: Group dynamic

With the new year - and its resolutions - rapidly approaching, I'm highlighting some of my favorite fit things of 2012. 

 

So we keep living, cause the feel's right/ And it's so nice, and I'd do it all again/ This time, it's forever/ It gets better, and I / I, I like how it feels

I was half-way through the chest track (release 82) as I subbed the Thursday night BODYPUMP class when I realized something. Something sort of strange.

Photobucket

And it wasn't the odd angle of that photo or my incessant desire to show off my new Old Navy outfit. But, while we're here, isn't it cute?

Nope. The realization was that my journey with BODYPUMP is almost a year-old. A year! It seems like forever and yet no time at all. Either way, it's hard to believe that I went from new participant to instructor in that time, and my passion for the class only continues to grow. I love how it's made me fitter, stronger and more confident while forcing me to do things (read: lunges) that I wouldn't do on my own.

As a non-gym member, I don't have the opportunity to take many classes and thus my experience limited. However, my friend and I made a commitment at the beginning of 2012 to explore new fitness experiences - including BODYPUMP - and I stumbled across some real gems.

Piloxing. A mix of boxing, Pilates and dance, Piloxing has a choreographed element that is familiar while challenging the body, cardiovascular- and strength-wise. I loved that I could take the class barefoot, and the mix of cardio tracks versus balance/strength work.


Real Ryder. I just took a class last week (here, if you are in NE Indiana), and I'm already plotting when I can go back. Many of us have taken indoor cycling classes but where Real Ryder classes differ is in the bikes. The bikes move side to side, allowing for participants to burn more than 20 percent more calories per session than Spin. I was surprised at how much harder the class was - I had to really figure out how to turn the bike and engage my core. By the end, I was wiping up my sweat (and butt) off the floor.

Photobucket

Zumba. OK, I realize that I was the last person on the planet to try Zumba. It just didn't seem like a class for me. I lack rhythm, dance skills and coordination, and I had a preconceived notion that it was for people who were, umm, less hard core. However, with the right instructor, attitude and effort, Zumba is no joke. It's also low-impact, making it a great way to cross train during peak season.

This year, I also tried other kickboxing workouts - cardio and Turbo Kick - as well as Group Power (similar to BP). All in all, not a bad year.

Did you try any new-to-you classes this year? What's your favorite group exercise class?

1 comment:

  1. Those classes look great!! I'm in the same boat as you as I don't have a gym membership :( maybe this year I will "invest" in one.

    ReplyDelete