Monday, October 8, 2012

Marathon Monday: Time - it's of the essence

I am training for the Columbus Marathon and following a schedule based on the "Train Like A Mother" finish it plan. These posts document my training. 

The week, in running:

Monday: 5.1 miles, easy (+stroller)
Wednesday: 6 miles, easy (+stroller)
Thursday: 12 miles, long run (+stroller for 4 miles)
Friday: 4 miles, negative splits
Sunday: 4.27 miles, hilly (+stroller)

◊ ◊ ◊ 

I'm feeling cranky pants today.

I slept for crap this weekend; my legs are still insanely sore from Saturday's BODYPUMP class; I threw a big pity party last night that I never get to go out to the movies; my hands smell like onions from prepping dinner this morning; and I discovered I left my wallet at work during a lunch-time shopping trip to Target but only after I decided to be irresponsible and put two new outfits on the credit card.

And, I discovered that cookies have calories. Seriously the world is not with me lately. I might as well go hide in a cave and wait for spring.

Of course, that doesn't make for good blogging - and neither does this mood. However, with Columbus just 13 days out and the "Train Like a Mother" plan in the thick of tapering, I thought it would be a good idea to bring you into the darkness while I set some goals for the marathon.

Goal No. 1: Don't die. Fairly self-explanatory but my main objective is to get over the line healthy and preferably happy without pooping my pants.

Goal No. 2: Same as the first but with the addition of a time element. I'll be satisfied if I can do this thing in less than 4 hours, 30 minutes. It seems like a fairly conservative goal - it's a 10:18 pace, and I've been running long runs about 30 seconds faster - but I feel like I've had a long taper (drawback to TLAM) and don't want to put unreasonable expectations on myself.

Goal No. 3: If I did want to put unreasonable expectations on myself, I'd shoot for the 4:03:48 McMillan says I can do with my recent Fort4Fitness time but again long taper and I'm a cranky pants. I think a challenging yet reasonable time will be 4:15 - a 9:44 pace.


Of course, a 4:14:53 would best P. Diddy's time by a second and therefore earn me all of his fame and fortune. Obviously.

Then I wouldn't have to worry about leaving my wallet at home and not splurging on two Target outfits. I'd probably still be cranky but at least I'd have some rockin' duds and a killer marathon time.

7 comments:

  1. Come on K.Fab! you can so beat diddy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crush Puffy's time...how many names does that guy have now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for you. I can't wait to hear about your experience. I am so super nervous about tackling 26.2 miles!

    You have put in great training though and I think you will do fabulous. I honestly don't think you will have any trouble crushing P. Diddy's time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I completely understand you having a time to shoot towards, try not to let it make or break your day. You only get to do your first marathon once. Remember to take in the entire experience. Remember to SMILE and HAVE FUN.

    The finish is your goal. The rest is gravy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spoken like the wise woman you are. This is definitely my main goal, and I'll be thinking of these words on the course.

      Delete
  5. Tapering makes me cranky too. You're going to do great at the race. I know it! You've trained hard and you're so ready. Tapering is a mind game, if you can get to the starting line confident, you're already well on your way to a great race!

    ReplyDelete
  6. cranky is ok. i'm cranky too. but i'm EXCITED for you and the marathon!!

    the taper kind of makes you nuts. it messes with your head. but it will be worth it come race day.

    love your goals ;)

    ReplyDelete