Wednesday, September 7, 2011

What I Ate Wednesday: Comfort foods

I always knew I would be a working mom. Not just because of finances but because I wanted to. It didn’t make sense to me to spend four years in school, rack up student loan debt and slowly work toward my career goals only to give it up when I had a baby.

Even still, it didn’t make yesterday any easier, and it was definitely reflected in my eats. I ate for comfort, and comfort equals carbs. I know it’s not good to eat your emotions but I am not going to beat myself up over it. I acknowledged it. I controlled it. I got back on track.

So onto the food …

Breakfast

P1010097

Everything bagel with reduced-fat veggie cream cheese

P1010103

Decaf coffee and munchkin … times two.

Lunch

P1010098

Lean Cuisine … at my desk. Awesome, I know. I don’t like to eat these things but I have a really short week and it didn’t make sense to prepare a dish that I could eat all week.

P1010100

1 ounce mixed nuts

P1010101

Apple … yeah, I sort of ate my afternoon snacks with my lunch instead of my soup (see below).

Snacks

P1010102

1 cup soup

P1010104

Ugly @ss carrots and Wheat Thins (unpictured)

Dinner

P1010105

Cuban Braised Beef with rice. I seriously will make any recipe that calls for cilantro and avocado.

P1010106

Blackberry Cabernet sorbet. Mark picked this up from Fresh Market last week (along with a dozen red roses :) ), and it is ahhmazing.

What are your tips to avoid emotional eating?

6 comments:

  1. Emotional eating can be sooooo hard. I tend to eat a lot of carbs and sweets when things are tough. I think it is important to acknowledge whats causing you to eat a certain way or cause emotional stress and work slowly at making proactive changes. You are doing just that, so I say good for you. You have been through a lot emotionally and physically recently with having a baby so I think that it is normal to struggle a bit getting back into the swing of things! Things will get better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. <~~I've been emotionally eating for the past few weeks and I'm trying to reel myself back in. You can do this... and so can I, I think?!?! lmao

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it's helpful when I recognize that I emotionally ate. That's the first step really. Then I realize I can't take it back! It's in my belly.

    So then I commit to do better at the next meal, next day. And for some reason drinking extra water makes me feel "healthier" after eating junk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you made a good point that you acknowledged it, and controlled it. Occasionally comfort foods are needed, but it doesn't mean that you have to over-binge on bad foods. It looks like you kept it under control and you did good! I like to narrow it down to what I really want to eat so that I son't just eat everything. Like last week I really wanted a cinnamon roll so I halfed one with my husband and it totally took away the craving. Then I flushed with a crap-ton of water!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh Mark is a sweetie - roses and sorbet? D'uh Winning!!!!! ;)

    Own it - and move on . . . it's not like you aren't in an incredible transition in your life AND there really isn't a specific road map for how to get it all done. You are doing the right things - hope each day feels a little more in control for you :)

    ReplyDelete