Wednesday, May 11, 2011

All the single ladies

Move that body: 2.3-mile walk

Last night, Mark left me.

For Indianapolis.

He had to go to some “I’m awesome at my job” teacher powwow/leadership conference and I got to stay here. In the Summit City. Hello, taste of my single days.

Literally.

Usually, when Mark is gone for whatever reason, I use it as a time to eat the things that I love but Mark won’t touch – summer squash, asparagus, white beans, black beans, kidney beans, Brussels sprouts, barley. I had originally planned to do breakfast for dinner – a favorite for me, not so much for him – but as I made the drive home, I wasn’t interested. I didn’t want to make myself pancakes. In fact, I didn’t want to make myself anything. So I did what any girl would do. I went to KFC.

Way to lead by example, Kim. Way to go.

I picked up a two-piece dark meat mail with mashed potatoes and cole slaw. Oh, and there’s always a biscuit. I pulled one of my old “let’s pretend it’s healthy” moves, pulling the skin off the chicken and not eating the top of the biscuit. I also applauded myself for not picking mac-and-cheese, my preggo fave, as it’s more calories than the potatoes.

Yeah, way to go, Kim. 

***

After dinner, I decided to pass the time by pulling more mutant dandelions and watering my vegetable garden.

P1000735

In there we have five tomato plants (three varieties), kale , basil, thyme and rosemary. I still want to add some cilantro, bell pepper and maybe jalapeño. My goal this summer is to have the option of doing a good pasta or a good salsa – two things you can’t go wrong with.

Now that they are planted, the real work will be keeping Denali from peeing on them as he’s done to the flowers in the yard. At least he was nice enough to keep me company while I was working last night.

P1000736

Do you have a veggie garden? What fruits/veggies are you looking forward to this summer?

3 comments:

  1. I'm totally going to be having a post about this in the next couple of weeks. Gardening indeed! I have a salad garden (well, not exactly planted yet, but soon): lettuce, green onions, radishes, baby carrots, then Peppers (red, yellow, & orange) not necessarily for the salad, but for other delicious stuff. NOTHING beats being able to go out and cut off stuff to make a salad or top a burger with FRESH from the garden - oh yeah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I planted basil last week... and I'm pretty sure some bunnies have already dug it up. Fantastic. And all my houseplants died over the winter. Clearly I'm gifted with gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a pretty good sized garden with everything from dill and basil to rhubarb, zuchinni and spinach. Good thing my husband has a green thumb!

    P.S. Totally drooling over the thought of KFC now...

    ReplyDelete