Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Thin pickings

Today's lunch was brought to you by Operation: Clean Out the Pantry.


Tuna salad on Thomas Everything Bagel Thin with a slice of cheese and a side of cut vegetables. (Sorry about Feisty Fiona. She forced herself into the photo and tried to steal the sandwich.)

The other day, I found myself waist-deep in the bottom cabinet looking for a box of pasta. I pushed aside a can of garbanzo beans, a can of white beans, two cans of tuna and myriad other items - all of which were purchased with a dish in mind, dishes that were never made. It's a bit ridiculous to have so much food and just let it sit there.

And so Operation: Clean Out the Pantry was born.

Canned tuna, packed in water, is the easiest item for me to use. I decided to whip up a quick tuna salad made with:
  • 1 can water-packed tuna
  • 1/2 rib celery, finely diced
  • 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
  • 2 tablespoons chopped squash-zucchini mix
  • 1 egg white, diced
  • 1 tablespoon garlic-herb mayonnaise (I received this as a sample in the mail)
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
I toasted an Everything Bagel Thin from Thomas in the toaster oven at work, added a slice of cheese and topped it with my tuna salad and sliced tomato. A side of cut veggies along with a Kashi oatmeal raisin cookie rounded out the meal. It was a tasty lunch that looked like I actually put thought into it.

Thanks, Operation: Clean Out the Pantry!

No comments:

Post a Comment