Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sweet as pie

Ten miles - that was the goal for the morning.

I had hoped to wake up early and get the miles in before the heat (and humidity) set in but I decided to lie in bed until 7:30 because, well, the bed felt so nice. It wasn't until my husband sat on the bed, fully dressed in running gear, that I got up and started the coffee. As the French toast roast got brewin', I threw on the shorts and tank and pulled the hair back.

When the coffee was ready, I poured myself a cup and broke off part of a Cherry Pie Larabar. I finally broke into the mini Larabars that I scored at the Flying Pig expo and decided they make a good pre-run food. Even the mini bars seem substantial with about 100 calories but they don't sit too heavy on the stomach. Today, I was trying something new - eating half of a regular-size Larabar before the run and taking the other half in the zip pouch my Nathan handheld for a mid-run carb replacement. While I've done OK with Gu and Hammer gels, I feel like I have to choke them down and don't get that energy burst I'd expect.



I did the first 4 miles of this run with my husband and the last 6 miles by myself. The 4 miles were on the fast side, but I kept in mind that I could slow down if need be once Mark left me. I stopped at the park around mile 5 to fill up my water bottle and eat the rest of the Larabar. I wasn't really hungry for it but knew I should eat it. I thought I might have to force it down but it tasted great and it was easy to chew. At mile 6, I was passed by the running company's shirtless brigade and felt inclined to kick it up as if I could keep up with them. Not even a chance. I managed to do well until about mile 9 when my hamstring tightened up. I took a minute to stretch and pushed myself through the last mile. 10 miles in 1 hour, 39 minutes at a 9:49 pace.

I got home and knew I should eat but the Larabar had held me pretty well. I took a cold bath, stretched and then cleaned up in the shower. By then I was feeling a bit more with it, and I made myself a homemade frap with 1 cup almond milk, which I froze the night before, more French toast coffee and a chocolate smoothie mix. I toasted an English muffin, added 2 teaspoons of peanut butter and had a banana on the side. Protein, carbs, fruit and caffeine = post-run goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment