Saturday, June 19, 2010

A bit corny

Saturday = Rest Day!

I went to my WW meeting this morning where I was down another 1.2 pounds (despite eating more in an effort to maintain my weight loss). After learning about the importance of keeping track of what you eat - thank you blog - it was off to the grocery store.

I'm the kind of girl who always shops with a list, has her coupons in tow and is always looking for a bargain. What I buy is often dependent on the latter two. Last night, though, I had a rude awakening. I was eating a pineapple upside down cake-flavored yogurt and glanced down at the ingredients. Among those listed in the beginning was high-fructose corn syrup. What? I thought yogurt was healthy, and I had bought that particular yogurt because it was fat-free and 100 calories.

Lesson learned: All yogurt is not created equally.

So while at the store, I still had coupons and still looked at the sales but I began to look at the labels. Many of the brands I buy have high fructose corn syrup. The only ones that did not were the organic varieties, of which there is a smaller section and few fat-free flavors. They are more expensive, too.

I stood there for a moment to think. Eating healthy isn't just about reducing calorie content. It's about thinking about the things you put in your body. What do you want to put in your body?

I want things that are good to me, not advertised to be good for me. So I picked up some Stonyfield yogurt - fat-free strawberry and pomegranate raspberry acai and probiotic strawberry. As luck would have it, I had some coupons.

Now the big decision: Throw away the yogurt with high fructose corn syrup, give it away or suck it up and eat it?

1 comment:

  1. Yeah that's what I'm talking about. The HFCS. I just learned it's in the regular Gatorade!

    I guess I threw out some stuff that basically mortified me after I read the ingredients. I gave unopened stuff to the food pantry. And vowed to "buy better food."

    ReplyDelete