Monday, August 31, 2015

On the line {fall racing plans}

There are three things that you should know about me: I love coffee, I love running and I can't refuse a good deal.

And it was two of those and a lack of the other that I found myself doing something that I said I wouldn't: Registering for a half marathon.

 photo muncie half_zpse91lyz4j.jpg

I could go into a verbose explanation of the situation but here's what you need to know: I hadn't had enough coffee that day. It was a free half marathon (well, $1.60 with fees) on a weekend I had planned to run 10 miles, and there's not a whole lot of difference between running 10 and running 13. I love competition and securing a free spot was like a race in itself. Muncie is less than an hour and a half from me but I have only been once. Plus, I get a medal and a glass and the only glasses we have at our house have either come from Nuun or a race. #sadbuttrue

When I got the deal, I didn't think much beyond that ... except how to sell it to Mark. But he knows me and those three things so he's usually fairly amenable.

There was just one thing I should have thought of: The race is the cream filling on my Oreo of September racing.

Sept. 12: The Color Run in South Bend

Sept. 19: Muncie Mini Marathon

Sept. 26: Fort4Fitness Double Play

It's going to be fun, for sure, but I'd be lying if I wasn't kicking myself a bit for filling up my schedule like this. There will be two weekends of travel, three Saturday mornings away from the boys with two of them tied to the pump and a whole lot of solo parenting for Mark.

Thankfully, I have racked up some major brownie points to "earn" that other fall race I'm doing – the Bourbon Chase. Oh, and I have one of the most supportive husbands ever. I couldn't do it without him.

Everyone with me: Awww.

I did come up with a brilliant idea to soften the blow of this whole, "Hey! I signed up for a half marathon without telling you" thing plus racing all of September. I invited my in-laws to travel with us and the race will become a small part of a family weekend. After I cross the finish line, we'll head south to Indianapolis to eat lunch and go to the Children's Museum.

Bonus: I'll make the boys – all of them – really happy by suggesting we grab Giordano's (Chicago style pizza) on the way to the museum. Not that I would want cheesy, delicious pizza after doing a half. Nope. Not at all.

Anyone else gearing up for a busy fall of racing?

5 comments:

  1. Fun! Love that you paid $1.60. That is definitely a deal. Don't let yourself stress out about it. Just treat it as a fun experience and a fun run given all the other things you have going on. Maybe you can take an extra minute to high five a kid or thank more volunteers and spectators along the way ... or even take some more pictures than usual. Your post-baby come back is awesome, and this is a nice way to celebrate all you have accomplished ... and it's just the beginning. Enjoy it. Looking forward to following your fall adventures. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, gorgeous! I am definitely taking a casual approach to the half - definitely not in it for time. I'm even considering a run-walk approach so that I have a gear or two left for the last weekend.

      Delete
  2. I'm doing my first half October 3rd. Part of me thinks I'm nuts for doing it after only running my first 5k in June but I'm also pretty excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing my first half October 3rd. Part of me thinks I'm nuts for doing it after only running my first 5k in June but I'm also pretty excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome!!! Sounds like fun!!! I wish I could get a good deal on a half marathon!!! I am doing a local super fun 10K in 2 weeks. I am doing Vancouver BC 1/2 marathon in Oct. I am hoping to do Nike Womens 1/2 but only if Nuun has some slots for us! :)

    ReplyDelete