Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Celebrating the Good: Week in Review

Friend and fellow blogger Jesica, aka Runladylike, recently kicked off a weekly training/week-in-review link up. I'm joining her this week to share how I have been getting my move on.

"I'm in awe." 

I looked up, wiping the sweat from my eyes, as I walked away from the treadmills. A fellow YMCA member who was walking on the belt smiled at me. His look was kind and his words complimentary as he continued. I was an inspiration and he hoped to do what I was doing someday.

"So, he wants to be a hot mess," I thought to myself because on that day, and most of last week, that's how I felt. Like a hot mess.

Last week, it was like a switch went off. I was officially in the third trimester and everything just got harder. A 9:30 pace on the treadmill is not going to happen anymore, with 9:45 an effort and 10:00 comfortable. Running 4 miles is bliss, 5 miles is good, 6 is OK and ... well, we haven't tried anything else. 

As such, I was feeling a bit discouraged but determined to move toward acceptance. When I headed out for a run on Sunday, I decided that I would run what felt good for as long as it felt good. Four miles or six. Ten-minute pace or 11 minutes. I would just go, and I would go without looking at my watch. 

 photo IMG_20150125_092024_zpszvqt8w9n.jpg

Maybe it was the feeling of freedom or the relatively mild weather (low 30s and calm winds) or the chance I might see Lauren Fleshman on my run but I ran with peace. The bad, frustrating runs from earlier in the week were behind me and though the next few months remain uncertain, I knew that I had a clear road ahead.

Note: I seriously missed seeing Lauren on my route by 10 minutes, I later learned. B-U-M-M-E-R. 

WEEK'S WORKOUTS


Monday | Barbell class
Time: 45 minutes     

Tuesday | 5 miles, treadmill intervals
Time: 49:08     Pace: 9:49

Wednesday | Barbell class
Time: 44 minutes 

Thursday | 5-mile run with Tami
Time: 49:21     Pace: 9:52

Friday | 5.1 miles
Time: 50:44     Pace: 9:57

Saturday | Silver Sneakers Training

Sunday | 6.05 miles
Time: 59:02     Pace: 9:45

WEEK'S MEALS

One of my goal's for 2015 was to be better about meal planning, especially for lunches. While it hasn't gone perfectly, I continue to make a solid effort. I am eating out less at lunch time and making several lunches at a time for grab-and-go convenience.

Monday | Broccoli soup with garlic bread

Tuesday | In-laws

Wednesday | Korean chicken over brown rice

Thursday | Chicken bacon pasta

Lunch | Split pea soup (finally made it) and Greek-inspired salads

WEEK'S HIGHLIGHTS

• Giving myself permission to take it easy. It's very hard for me to find middle ground – I'm either 100 percent in or completely giving up. Pregnancy is not a time for either, and I'm slowly making progress (on the mental front) toward that.

• Passing my 28-week glucose test! My diet has been a bit, err, carb rich and I was slightly worried that it would show on my test. But I was good to go.

WEEK'S STRUGGLES

• Silver Sneakers training was about 9 hours of my day Saturday, when including commute, and I had to get creative with scheduling runs. It meant two early days in a row, which is tough for me, but I was better for it. 

• Food aversions? I'm not sure what it is but I'm feeling a bit apathetic toward a lot of dishes, and I can't get excited about healthy foods. Broccoli?  Don't bring it near me. Actually, most cooked vegetables aren't very appealing. The good thing, I guess, is that I have no taste for ice cream.

A big thanks, Jesica, for hosting. If you link up with her, be sure to let me know so I can check out your post.

8 comments:

  1. You are a rock star! You may have been feeling in a rut but what you are doing while pregnant is no short of awesome! Nice job this past week and hope you have an awesome week ahead. Thanks so much for joining the link up! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in awe too - your pregnant paces are some of my speed interval paces, and you're still getting in more weekly mileage than I am as a non-pregnant, no-kids runner! Seriously, you are rocking this pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Kim- your paces are speedy all on their won, but they are lighting for someone who is in there third tri. I'm totally impressed with your determination to run through your pregnancy, I gave up after the first 6 weeks. You're a stud. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's your Korean chicken recipe? Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to use this recipe: http://www.melskitchencafe.com/korean-beef/. I have yet to make it but I always find good stuff at Mel's blog.

      Delete
  5. Great week and you are still faster than me at 28 weeks preg!! You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete