If I had to be honest, I've been teetering on the edge of burnt out when it comes to running. The aggressiveness of my training plan (my fault), participating in a lot of races (my fault) and being a bit tired (not my fault).
But, there has been hope.
Here are some things that I have been loving on the run lately.
1. Revisiting old routes. I've been sticking to the same two routes on my morning runs and though I like them, I am feeling a bit bored - at least with the one. So, this morning, I bribed myself with a jaunt through my old neighborhood and throwing the plan out the window to get in the miles. It was just what I needed! The river from this part of the Rivergreenway is picturesque, and I love how the trees reflect in the water. I also got to run by some grand homes whose yards were showing fall color.
2. Oiselle Flyte Shorts. I've been looking for a good compression-type short but haven't found anything in store that made me want to hand over the credit card. My favorite running store recently picked up Oiselle, and I went to check it out. I was a bit leery of the shorts as even the long version looked too short but I bought them anyway. So glad I did. The material on these shorts is so soft and comfortable that even sweat-soaked, I don't want to take them off.
3. Salted Watermelon Gu. I've been off and on the Gu train, and I even experimented with fuel-free long runs as my diet changed. I wanted to try this flavor, though, and I'm glad I did. I like that it has extra sodium but isn't as sticky sweet as the Salted Caramel. Don't get me wrong - I still like the Yeti - but the watermelon is more palatable over the long run.
Note: I really want to try the Root Beer if only for the novelty, and Gu Energy just came out with Caramel Macchiato.
4. Fall weather. I wore long sleeves on two runs this week, and there's a crunch beneath my feet as I move. Need I say more?
5. Listen up. Somehow, I had an Audible credit, and I decided to download "Gone Girl." I know I'm the last person to read the book but I'm loving it so far. I may have to subscribe to Audible this fall when I start slowing down to enjoy the runs.
What are you loving late?