Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Veterans Marathon Training: Week 9

I've been thinking about the marathon a lot lately. More and more with each workout I miss.

Thinking about how the combination of Hood to Coast, recovery from HTC and this rest week has zapped the feeling that I'm training for something, anything. I'm floating along in this weird limbo where I want to run and hope to run but only for the run itself, not the race.

Thinking about where I need to be and where I'll have to be to just complete the dern thing, much less finish with a time goal. I've scoured training plans, beginner or otherwise, to see if I can hop down and still do what I need to do. When you are eight weeks out from a marathon, I've discovered, it's hard to just jump on something. My best shot is if I find myself running relatively pain free tomorrow and can run 15 miles this weekend. (A girl can dream!)

Trying to think about why I signed up for the thing in the first place. Wait. I know that one - free entry. I am such a sucker for free.

The thinking, at least, helps to divert my attention from the lazy, lethargic feeling that has taken over my body. I've felt more tired this past week with the sleeping in (till 6 or 6:30 a.m.) and the limited workouts. Although, calling them limited workouts is pretty funny since I still hit four hours a week (classes) - 90 minutes more than the recommendation that Americans complete, at minimum, 150 minutes of moderate exercise a week.

 photo resting_zps395584db.jpg
Resting like a beauty - new Runner's World, fresh pedi and a bath with Aveda salts

The week, in training.

Monday: Included last week (Oak Brook Half Marathon)
Tuesday: Piloxing (taught) + Bodypump (taught)
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: 3.75-mile run + Rip (taught)
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Bodypump (taught)
Sunday: 4-mile bike ride to the park. Very slow bike ride as Denali was running alongside me, and he maxes out at 7 mph.

3 comments:

  1. I got sucked in to my Nov marathon with the "free" too. LOL! Veterans offered me any entry too!

    But!

    Girl. Eight weeks is a lot of time. Your doc thought you might be better this week, right? Missing one long run does not derail weeks of training. Look up in the ACE Manual where it says how long it takes to lose muscle mass. Then tell me the answer. It was a practice quiz question.

    Not to be a byotch though, not being able to train when you have a huge goal makes me feel like crap too (or would, if I had goals), as does sleeping in. I was actually thinking about asking people that on my blog - would they rather sleep in or take a nap? Man, if I am not up before 6:00 I feel like a loser! But do I think people who sleep past then are losers? No.

    Anyway. I am sending you recovery thoughts! Doing what you are doing now - teaching and biking - will keep you in shape. You have time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Kim said - you have time! You are strong and fit and YOU HAVE TIME.

    People do a lot in marathons with FAR less training than you've amassed.

    Breathe girl. You'll be ok. TRY to enjoy your break. Muah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If your hip feels okay you're going to have no problem doing 15. In fact, you might feel even better after the week of rest (after you shake out the lazy leg feeling).

    ReplyDelete