Thursday, September 12, 2013

Three Things Thursday: Form fitting

1. A funny thing happened on the way to Bodypump. Actually, the "it" really happened during Bodypump. Shit. No. It happened after Bodypump.

Wait. Let's get this right. I noticed something funny after Bodypump because of something I did in Bodypump as a result of something that happened before Bodypump.

Got it? Good.


In an effort to alleviate any unnecessary pressure on my hip flexors, I have dropped my weight dramatically during Bodypump for any track that involves the hip flexors - squats, back and lunges. My usual squat weight ranges from 17 kg to 20 kg and, Tuesday, it was 9 kg. Nine friggin' kilos - not even 20 pounds.

The interesting thing, though, is that as I've dropped weight, I've found that I am more sore. Seriously. If you had asked me to sit on a toilet yesterday, it would have involved some dropping it like it's hot. Anyway, my hypothesis is that by reducing my weight, I am achieving a greater range of motion and focusing more on my form and thus improving the quality of the action. It just goes to show that you don't need to lift heavy for good results.

2. Speaking of my sore ass - not my pso-as - I'm wondering if it contributed to the tightness in my lower extremities, a fact the orthopedic doctor emphasized several times during my visit today.

I had made the appointment Monday after (irrationally) convincing myself that I had a stress fracture but  nearly canceled it a half-dozen times after a relatively successful run yesterday and a continued improvement in pain. However, I figured it was better to be safe than sorry and showed up at 9 a.m.

There were some screens to test range of motion relative to pain, X-rays and more movement screens (Stork test, hello!). I would be lying if I said that my anxiety did not grow as the exam grew longer. I feared that maybe the crazy was right, and I was going to be sidelined this fall. But not so. I just have a strained/sprained hip flexor (as previously thought) and an irrationally tight sacroiliac joint. Actually, my entire hip complex is tight - so much so that my hips are not aligned and the doctor prescribed physical therapy.

The good news is that I can run, run now and run long. The doctor, who is a runner herself and member of one of the local groups, said I might need to reconfigure my training (skipping a cut back week) but sees no reason why I can't do Veterans in November.

3. I just ate a fun-size package of peanut butter M&Ms. They did not make my tummy feel good. That is all.

Note: I realize No. 3 has nothing to do with anything but what do you want from me? I've spent the better part of the week obsessing over phantom and not-so-phantom pains in my psoas. Because I am a crazy, self-centered fool.

Favor of the week: Give me something else to think about. What's your current obsession?

10 comments:

  1. WHEW. Glad you aren't broken. As a crazy, self-centered hypochondriac fool, I know how it is! No apologies needed.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear there are no stress fractures! Have you gone to a chiropractor at all? I hurt my SI joint badly a couple years ago and the chiro was the only one who really helped. Good luck healing quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pso-as. HA! Glad you are doing OK, and have a plan to keep healing up that hip flexor... and can keep running!

    Ummm... I've been eating a lot of peanut butter this week. With apples, with rice cakes, straight off the spoon, with chocolate chips. I'm ok with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good news! Now take care of yourself, and enjoy running! (I'm also contemplating whether I'll make it to my fall marathon, but due to iron deficiency anemia, not injury... not yet, anyway... http://thesethingshappentootherpeople.blogspot.com/2013/09/waiting-for-erythropoiesis-and-fall.html)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're ok, relatively speaking!!!
    Current obsession: homemade asian ginger dressing (like the kind they have at Benihana). I've never willingly eaten this many salads in a row before in my entire life (4 meals now). It all evens out with the bag of candy corn, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those phantom injuries....they'll get you every single time! We were just talking about them yesterday on our trail run because it's taper time and that's when most Phantom injuries seem to just show up.

    I'm glad that it's nothing serious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that pic of you!

    I was going to say the same thing about being so sore - you are probably getting a larger ROM! Ugh, I hate being toilet sore. But love the results. LOL. Um, to my body. Not at the toilet.

    Yay for the news! How did you do in the Stork test? Did you do the Thomas test?

    Hmm, something else to think about... cute outfits for fall! Let's will it to get colder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for no sfx and the green light to run and race Veterans!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy to hear that it's not a stress fracture and you can start running again :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The healthy weight loss diets produces within you a mental shift where you deter from taking unhealthy foods. When you have this in mind your attitude to taking in junk foods will automatically change.
    Weight loss drinks

    ReplyDelete