Thursday, July 18, 2013

Put a lid on it: A recipe

You couldn't swing a mouse around Facebook without running into it.


 photo null_zpsd9497c03.jpg

The one-pot pasta.

It was one of those annoying "share this photo" and ready the ridiculously long cutline sort of recipes. It was the kind you couldn't really pin or bookmark, forcing you to share it and revisit your own Facebook page 20 times the day you decided to make it.

But make it I did - even though I was sure that it was bound to be an epic fail. I mean, how couldn't it? It was a can of tomatoes, some broth and pasta. In a skillet-type pan. And cooked all together.

It worked, though, and worked well. Mark called it the best of the week, and Miles gobbled it up as if he weren't a picky toddler. With it coming in less than $5 to make, I knew I would be preparing it again. I just needed to figure out when - and how.

 photo null_zps4dc6fd09.jpg

And thus the One-Pot Southwest Pasta was born.

 photo null_zpsdc4cd0a1.jpg

A twist on that over-shared Facebook recipe, I subbed Ro-Tel for the diced tomatoes and cilantro for the basil. I added some staying power with whole wheat pasta and protein with some black beans. Corn would be a nice addition, as well, if you happen to have any. And, of course, I added a little creaminess with Laughing Cow. Because I had it in the fridge.

If you're worried about it being too spicy, it's not. It's just a bit hot - in all the right ways.

 photo null_zps6c3f4516.jpg

One-Pot Southwest Pasta


1 (13.25-ounce) box whole wheat linguini1 can Ro-Tel
1 onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 big handful cilantro, roughly chopped
4-4.5 cups vegetable broth
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
4 wedges Laughing Cow Queso Fresco & Chipotle wedges
Optional: Cheddar cheese

In a 3-inch deep skillet, add linguini, tomatoes with juices, onions, garlic and cilantro. Pour 4 cups broth over ingredients and cover skillet with lid. Bring it to a boil; reduce eat to a simmer and cook 12 minutes. If the mixture is looking too dry, add reserved 1/2 cup broth. Once the pasta is cooked to al dente, stir in black beans and Laughing Cow until well combined and the beans are warm. Garnish with cheddar cheese and cilantro if desired.

1 comment:

  1. This looks yummy. I'll definitely give it a try (and surprisingly, I haven't seen it on my facebook so I'm glad you shared!).

    ReplyDelete