Saturday, June 16, 2012

One Day

Get up. Do stuff. Go to bed.

It's what we all do but somehow, we all manage to do it differently. And how we do it differently is extremely fascinating - at least to me.

I have devoured bloggers' posts about their lives but never felt overly compelled to share. Of course, that was until Lee did it. And now I must copy.

I now present a day in the life of me - Friday, June 15.

2:45 a.m. Miles is up ... for the second time. After sleeping through the night five out of six nights, Mr. Man is having a rough go of it. I try to quiet him and give him the paci but it's a scene out of "The Exorcist." I ask Mark to make a bottle, which Miles happily takes.

3:10 a.m. Back in bed. Face. Plant.

5:45 a.m. Hear Miles. He's awake but not cranky so I lie there for a few minutes and tell Mark about my dream that involved crazed ostriches attacking people and how there were dead ostriches everywhere as people tried to fend them off.

5:53 a.m. Grab Miles from the crib and head downstairs.

6:05 a.m. Give Miles the last carrot-zucchini muffin and formula in his sippie cup. Realize that I am in the kitchen, which has no curtains, and I am not wearing pants. Continue to get Miles his breakfast, which, incidentally, he does not eat.

6:15 a.m. Sit on the couch with a cup of coffee and a Cran-Bran Vitatop. I'm out of nimble bars so it's onto my old WW standby.

6:30 a.m. Discover that I have completely zoned for 15 minutes and should probably consider putting pants on if I intend to run.

7 a.m. Leave the house with Mark, Miles and Denali for an "easy" 4-mile run. My legs are dead weight after BODYPUMP and the additional squats I did at home after sucking it up on that track in class. Get it done.

7:45 a.m. Home, sweaty, home. Get Denali off the leash, Miles out of the stroller and attempt to stretch.

8:05 a.m. Grab a new cup of coffee and head up to shower.

8:20 a.m. Return downstairs, and Mark hands off Miles duty so he can shower. I get Miles back in the high chair for a second attempt at breakfast as I make center cut bacon and french toast for Mark and me. In between bites and bacon flipping, I prepare and pack snacks for work: sliced cucumber and carrot sticks, frozen green beans, pluots and orange Jell-O.

8:45 a.m. Realize that I had intended to leave for work at 9 a.m. and I have a clingy child underneath my dress as I attempt to pour sugar-free syrup on my french toast.

8:55 a.m. Miles is in a fit, and I am not even half-way finished eating. Grab him and try to put him down for a nap in his crib.

8:57 a.m. It's eerily quiet, and I shovel food as I wonder whether my frustrated attempt at nap succeeded.

9 a.m. Nope.

9:01 a.m. Head upstairs with half a bottle, and rock Miles to sleep. Put him down, grab shoes, a sweater and a pair of earrings.

9:15 a.m. Leave the house and head to Fresh Market.

9:30 a.m. Rush in to Fresh Market to pick up the last of Mark's Father's Day gift and a wrap for lunch.

10 a.m. Get to work and do work stuff.

11:30 a.m. Eat the Turkey Brie Apple wrap and Siggi's yogurt that I picked up from Fresh Market while I work. I am impressed by neither and I thank the wonders of modern chemicals for Diet Coke.

2:30 p.m. Take a bathroom break and practice the BODYPUMP 81 while I'm there (the bathroom is empty). I royally effed it up Thursday, and I am seeking redemption.

4 p.m. Attend the daily news meeting. Do my best to be a productive staff member.

5:10 p.m. Leave the office, spend 10 minutes waiting to cross the street to the parking lot and head home.

5:20 p.m. Arrive. Change clothes. Pick up Mark. Leave. My in-laws are watching Miles so that Mark and I can have dinner - wait for it - alone and go to a movie.

5:40 p.m. Pray. I've just violated a series of traffic laws to get to the new-to-us restaurant Naked Tchopstix. It's a Pan-Asian restaurant that I had heard was good but overpriced - my favorite kind. I have the Bulgoki Bento Box and Mark has the Spicy Pork.

6:40 p.m. Box most of the Bulgoki (I guess I just wanted soup, salad and California roll) and down the last of my Diet Coke.

6:50 p.m. Arrive at the "dollar" theater that is technically across the street but apparently a 10-minute drive. Purchase tickets to see "Cabin in the Woods." Another prayer is said that I don't have nightmares. Crazed ostriches were enough for one week.

8;55 p.m. Leave the theater glad that we only spent $3 a ticket even if it meant hanging out in a dated cinema where you are forced to question what is living on the floor and in the seats.

9:15 p.m. Pick up Miles from the ILs. I somehow manage to pick him up from the crib, get him the car seat, drive him home, take him out of the car seat and put him in his crib without waking him up. Yes, I rock as a mother.

9:35 p.m. Practice the squat track again and pray I can walk for BODYPUMP the next day.

9:45 p.m. Play a move in Words with Friends before closing the Kindle ... and my eyes.


  1. I'm crazy impressed you can move Miles from crib to carseat to crib without waking him up. It has NEVER worked for us!

  2. I'm glad you did one of these. I think they are so fun to read. Everyone's day is so different. I know that I get up a lot later than most people but I also don't work out in the morning.

  3. I love these day in the life ofs. It's always interesting to see how much people's days are the same yet soo different. Lucas always wakes up when moved from his carseat. It's totally annoying. Diet Coke is a miracle worker.

  4. your day makes me tired just reading it. You truly are super mama! Hope you know you're doing great at all of this - working full time, plus body pump instructor, plus marathon training, plus being a mommy and having a life. CONGRATS! That is multi-tasking at its finest

  5. What a fun post!

    You do more in 5 minutes than I do all week!!!!

    You're going to be a GREAT pump teacher - give yourself a little break - perfection isn't required, just a sense of humor, and an ability to go with the flow!!!!

  6. great day ;)

    i've been working on a post like this for months! every day is so different with a baby.

    you really do a great job balancing. and i always enjoy reading your posts.

  7. Go get it girl! That's awesome, really impressed with all you find time to do in a day. Miles and Mark are lucky guys, my family gets cereal and I am SAHM...must kick it up a notch.