Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Third times the charm

Three down, five to go.


As part of my journey to become a Les Mills BODYPUMP instructor, I have to team teach eight classes. Well, at least eight classes. I have a feeling I might need to do more but that's neither here nor there.

Three of those classes are in the books - I team-taught my first class Thursday, another Saturday and my third last night. And, I'm happy to report, that with Cory's help, things are getting better and better.


I no longer feel like crying when it's over (totally did this during training). I am not losing myself during the chest track and left to feel like a tool when I correct myself. And the deflated feeling I had when leaving training? It's all but gone.

It's not to say that this teaching thing is easy. I still feel my body tremble a bit when the microphone comes my way and the words in my head do a rehearsal but fail to make it to the party. Oh, and then there's the singing. Some of my favorite aspects of class, as a participant, is when instructors tie in lyrics to the workout or belt out a few notes. One problem: I can't carry a tune and it would be really nice if people to come back to class.

The hardest part, though, is stepping out of the role as participant and into the role as teacher. I got tripped up on my timing Saturday when I kept seeing an attendee doing something else. I found myself wondering whether I should be doing what she was doing. No, Kim. Just no. And when it comes to some of the more difficult moves, I have to challenge myself not to do the modification. Who wants to take class from someone who can't do mountain climbers?

All of this should - and will - get better with time. The moves will get easier and I'll get stronger, enabling me to lift more "inspirational" weight. I'm learning what works for me - scripting sheets and watching old releases to "borrow" cues from the master trainers - and I feel more confident after each class. 

Now to find a voice coach ...

6 comments:

  1. i so wish I could take one of your classes!! I know you'll be awesome at it and I think I would feel less intimidated because you're so approachable and not a crazy person like some of them. Love hearing more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I am still so impressed you are doing this! And I do want to come take a class sometime.

    I also think it's pretty cool when an instructor does a modification - it makes me feel more normal that I can't do the advanced move yet. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I would totally take your class. I could see myself getting all thrown off by the other people in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am inspired by your determination to pursue your dream although you have fear and insecurities. No doubt you will inspire your class participants too. That class is a difficult on to teach with all that choreography. I would be nervous and distracted too. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite body pump instructors didn't sing OR lift super heavy weights. They were just personable and easy to follow. I'm sure you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am I voted off your friend island for promising to attend your classes and actually making it to none of them??? I'm sooo sorry! You're an amazing and inspiring person all by yourself so I'm sure you're doing GREAT! Honestly, I could give a crap less if my instructor can do a mountain climber and those who life freakish heavy weights kind of annoy me so . . . do your thing girl! I'll get up there shortly I promise!!!

    ReplyDelete