Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Camping out (+ winner)


Ow. Ow.

Ow. Ow. Mother-figgin-ow.

I. Hate. Steps.

I also hate bending down, ambling to the copy machine and walking in general but I guess that's what I get for following an epic 10-mile run with boot camp.

I've been looking forward to boot camp ever since L sent me an email with information about the three-week session. I was sure that the class would be just the butt kicking I need to get in the game mentally and reclaim some of the strength I lost during pregnancy. Last night, we met at the gymnastics/tumbling gym for our first class.


It started off innocently enough with arm circles and front kicks. There were these knee jump things, which L likened to a dive approach, that I have neither the coordination or the ability to complete successfully. I decided to wing it. And laugh. A lot. Thank goodness L decided to laugh, too, or I would have not only looked crazy but been certifiably so.


From there it was typical, or what I assume to be typical, boot camp fare – burpees, squats, bridges with chest presses, lunges, planks, push-ups, squats. The instructor offered modifications of all of the exercises, and I stuck with those for the most part. I have to give myself room to improve, to paraphrase L :)


I was pleasantly surprised that I didn’t feel like @ss crack upon leaving, even though I struggled during certain exercises. I’m hoping that Wednesday’s session, when we’ll move to circuit stations, we’ll give me the @ss crack feeling that merits the type of soreness I’m feeling today.

And the Viva La Resistance winner is (selected via Random.Org) … Bobbi! E-mail me your address (hlthystrides at gmail dot com) so I can mail out your goodies and set up your subscription to Fitness magazine.


  1. Ooh, boot camp can seriously kick your ass. Enjoy the new muscles and soreness!

  2. Oh my goodness - I am moaning the same exact sentiments all afternoon/evening!!!!! Aye Curumba!!!

    Love the before and after photo - I vote for more of those for each class :) I want to make a post soemtime about having natural curly hair - ummm, see before vs. after photo for prime example!!!! Hilarious!

    So glad I snapped that crazy photo of you and your weights - cracking me up OUT LOUD (and bothering my husband who is trying to watch Eureka - shhhhh he keeps saying).

    Yay for butt kicking boot camp . . .
    Fun post my BB (bloggy friend)!

  3. yay!!!! THANK YOU!! made my day :)

  4. Love the pictures of you and "Wells" Glad to hear the boot camp went well, you two will be kicking butt in no time! :)

  5. Boot Camp scares the s**t out of me. Good job!!!!