Thursday, November 17, 2011

Viva la Resistance: Let’s be honest

Move that body: Mish mash circuit workout

I had high hopes when I gave myself the November Viva la Resistance challenge. I thought it was just what I needed to get myself going in terms of strength training. Reporting back to you, and my desire not to let anyone down, would motivate me to get up at 5 a.m. and hang out with Jillian Michaels.

And, to an extent, the challenge was what what I needed. I am forcing myself to do even the slightest of weight workouts just to meet the goals of Viva la Resistance (two sessions a week). I take advantage of Miles’ post-run naps to do a bit of Pilates.

However, I have yet to get up early and successfully complete a Jillian workout. I’d like to partially blame Miles, who hasn’t gotten back on a schedule since the time change, but I know part of it’s me. I choose sleep over exercise. At night, I choose couch time over exercise. And on the weekends, I’m often catching up on a missed run.

Plain and simple, it’s hard and I’m not meeting my expectations. BUT, I’m not going to beat myself up. I’m trying and meeting the minimum requirements; I am not giving up; and I’m learning a lot.

My Viva la Resistance lessons (so far):

Be creative. If Miles wants to be held but I’m trying to fit in a session, I find ways to incorporate him into the workout. I’ll put him on the yoga mat and do a pushup so that each time I lower to the ground I give him a big ole kiss. I’ll wedge him, in the Boppy, between my legs and do sit-ups.

P1010334

Create a mantra … and stick to it. This is a recent thing, like the past two days, but I’m starting to ask myself, “What do you want more?” What do I want more: To lie on the couch or make Dolvett proud during “The Biggest Loser” commercials? What do I want more: Clean laundry or a 15-minute circuit workout?

Identify obstacles and find a way around them. My biggest problem is trying to get things done with Miles around. He’s needy, as I assume most babies are, and wants to be held a lot. I can’t lift weights and hold him. I just can’t. I can take a class outside of the house and devote 45 minutes to myself. My friend and fellow blogger L told me about a December boot camp class. It’s twice a week for three weeks, and it’s only $30. The fee is worth the time for me and the chance to socialize, rare things this day.

How have you been keeping up with the challenge? What are your obstacles?

14 comments:

  1. Just call me slacker... I haven't done any strength workouts since the first two I did the first week of November.

    Love the picture of you doing the sit up with Miles on your feet!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Such good ideas on how to squeeze in some exercise with the baby!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pic is too cute!!

    You can also start incorporating strength training into your runs. As long as you're out, you can do some walking lunges or stop and do a few push-ups, dips, crunches, etc. It's so much easier because you're already exercising and it doesn't feel like a huge extra effort!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never would have thought to do that with the sit-ups and the boppy pillow. I can totally see if I had though my kids would have giggled hysterically each time I did a sit up.... almost like "peek-a-boo" :)

    Great job with your challenge. I have done a few resistance things but I am not doing as well as I would like.. my only obstacle is my laziness though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was under the impression that the challenge was TWO strength sessions a week - is that really only the MINIMUM? i'm not sure i can fit in another one - it has been a struggle with just the two. but i am doing the two and sometimes it's not as bad as i think. but i totally get that feeling at night when you just want to veg or chill on the couch and you know you should be exercising or doing something more productive. usually for me, vegging wins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name is Bobbi, and I am sucking at this challenge. Sad face.

    I have been doing 1 hour, every week, because I paid for it. I LOVE it. But I can't seem to get in to a routine at home for the other session, short of a plank off here and there.

    Going to try HARDER this week...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I slacked off a little last week, but this week I am on top of it! (I think it might have something to do with my re-joining Weight Watchers this past weekend.) I did some circuit training after my treadmill workout on Sunday. I took an INTENSE Bosu class on Monday, and I took a cardio kickboxing class today that included lots of pushups, squats, and lunges. And even though, when I'm doing it, I sometimes want to die ... I always feel better afterwards. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, you gotta just make it work and you guys look too cute.

    I did do two sessions last week, but hit a major snafu that I'll be writing about soon. I'm going to have to get my sessions and I have til Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did two sessions last week. I am going to try to fit one in tonight as well. Still no runs though... ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to be creative!!!!! Love that you have a new 'little' workout partner - so precious!!! here's to more smoocharoonies (ehrm I mean push ups :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that pic, so cute! Way to get creative. I think u should take the class. U deserve the social aspect and it'll help with accountability

    ReplyDelete
  12. I signed up for this and have been working on my arms and core about 2-3 times a week, but I had a minor surgery on my tummy yesterday so I won't be able to continue :-( Good luck everyone! Six packs is yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Long hours and fatigue have been my latest obstacles and I just make deals with myself to keep moving and do something.

    First time comment, but lurking for a while ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am also having trouble fitting in workouts. I have a 6 month old and since he was born it seems I have been backsliding. But, two weeks ago I forced myself to pick a 10K training program and stick with it. It hasn't been easy (I have had to finish up a couple of my runs listening to my sweet babe cry--which is awful), but I am doing it. My next focus will be some cross and strength training and improving my diet. I am happier and healthier when I stay committed and that is a good thing for my whole family. Not just me. So, I know it's an important thing for all of us and that helps motivate me. I think you are doing great! And with time, it will become easier. ;-)

    ReplyDelete