Sunday, October 9, 2011

Makin’ it big time

Today is a big day. Huge.

While I can’t really tell you why – not yet, anyway - I promise that it really is big.

And a big day like today deserves a big breakfast. Growing up, that term meant homemade biscuits and gravy, over medium eggs and bacon. My mom made a mean biscuits and gravy.

A moment of silence, please.

Rarely, though, did she make french toast or pancakes – sad because pancakes are so yummy and so worthy of the big breakfast term.

Especially these Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes.




1 cup baking mix, such as Jiffy or Bisquick

1/2 cup oatmeal

3/4 cup milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)

1 egg white

1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon, depending on taste

1/4 teaspoon vanilla

2 packets Truvia or 2 tablespoons sugar

Raisins or other fruit


To make:

Add 1 tablespoon canola oil to skillet and preheat over medium heat.

In a bowl, gently mix together baking mix, oatmeal, milk, cinnamon, vanilla and sweetener. Let the mixture rest for a few minutes. I find that this resting period is key to getting a fluffy pancake. Also, as you are using uncooked oatmeal, it allows the cereal to soak up some of the milk and soften up a bit.

Spoon batter onto skillet and sprinkle with raisins (or fruit, like bananas, if your husband has a weird sense of what tastes good). Allow the pancakes to cook until they get a smidge dry on the sides and have bubbles in the middle. Flip. Cook all the way through.

Serve with butter, syrup and a glass of ice cold milk.

Note: If your raisins sort of suck, allow them to soak for a half-hour or so in some water – which will give you time to make some coffee and feed your screaming 3-month-old.

How do you like your pancakes? What are you doing today?


  1. i dont like pancakes. i think because my dad wants to eat them all summer long on the fishing boat that id rather eat anything else. yours do look good though!

  2. Well congratulations and I hope you enjoy every minute of it!!!

    I love banana and blueberry pancakes, both with walnuts too!

    I'm just trying to recoop from the trip and the two baby meltdowns that took place on a certain plane!

  3. Well big breakfast day with pancakes - that's pretty gigantic I'd say!!!! Hope it's fun and amazing!

    Not so much a pancake eater - my husband on the other hand, would eat them daily if he could.

  4. yumm those look good! and I can't wait to find out all about your big day

  5. I heart pancakes and those look good. Hope you had a great big day!!!