Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Plan A

Move that body: 2.93 mile run (5:1 interval)

I have a plan.

A plan that should take me across the finish line at Fort-4-Fitness, and a plan that should take me across that finish line happy.

And it looks a little something like this:

Week 1

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Walk and weights Run 2-3 miles with 5:1 interval Walk and weights Rest Run 3-4 miles with 4:1 interval Walk and/or bike ride Long run of 4+ miles with 4:2 interval

Week 2

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Walk and weights Run 2-3 miles with 7:2 interval Walk and weights Rest Run 3-4 miles with 5:1 interval Walk and/or bike ride Long run of 4+ miles with 4:1.5 interval

Week 3

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Walk and weights Run 2-3 miles with 9:2 interval Walk and weights Rest Run 3-4 miles with 7:2 interval Walk and/or bike ride Long run of 4+ miles with 5:2 interval

Week 4

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Walk and weights Run 2-3 miles easy Walk and weights Run 2-3 miles with 5:2 interval Rest Race day Rest

I have to admit that this plan is completely arbitrary, with the exception of three runs a week and the goal distances. It is also subject to change. A lot.

And here’s why:

So far my mornings have been looking like this: feed Miles, pump, make breakfast, feed Miles, eat breakfast, soothe Miles and then, maybe, get out for a run or walk. This morning I managed to get out 9:15. Fine and good. Just one thing: I go back to work next week. Even with a late start time (10 a.m.), I’m not sure how I’ll get everything done before I go in if Miles is having a bad morning. Of course, I can run after he goes down but our bed times have been about 8:45-9.

I am committed to fitness and will do my best to fit things, so if I run both weekend days and once during the week or hit the treadmill at 10 p.m., it’s OK. And once Miles starts sleeping through the night, a 5:30 a.m. run might not be out of the question.

However, it’s a bit overwhelming to think of how I’m going to meet everyone’s needs – and my own. So you working moms out there: How do you get things done? Am I expecting too much out of myself while Miles is so young?

5 comments:

  1. Not a working mom, but I am a supportive friend. I believe it was your grandma who said it best - "you have to take care of yourself" (or something like that - it was the best advice of all!). Hang in there - you'll figure out works best for you and your family . . . give it a little adjustment time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll figure out what works best for your family! When my son was a little baby, I would put him down at night and head to the gym ( of course someone would be home with him lol) and wouldn't get in bed till 11 most of the time , after shower and pre work prep for the next day. That went fine for a few months but when he actually started sleeping through the night I got up early am (around 5) and knocked my workout out(and still do)- it sets a great tone for the day and I feel like I am able to accomplish more. There would be no way in heck I could work out at night now. I would die from exhaustion. lol- YOU ARE GOING TO DO GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I may not be a mommy as of yet, my I have many friends who are. It is very important for you to make time for yo in addition to everyone else. It will probably take some trial and error but you will find a schedule that works for you, the hubby, and Miles. Just don't forget that you are just as important as the baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep in mind that there's no downside to run/walk even on race day! I did my first 10K that way this spring, had a big negative split, and passed 150+ people in the second half of the race. Might take some of the pressure off your training if you plan a run/walk interval for the race. People might look at you funny when you start walking 4 min into the race (or whatever), but don't worry -- you'll pass many of them again by the end!

    (From a mom of 2, slow but persistent runner and lurker)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your plan looks great, and I think you have the right idea by going into it knowing that you might need to flex it here and there.

    On the subject of juggling it all, I have no advice, only commiseration as I share the same fears once my little one gets here in January. All I'm going to try to do is fit it what I can (in terms of fitness) and not worry if I'm not right back up to the levels I was at pre-pregnancy. I figure that my schedule will allow what my sanity will allow, and somewhere in there I have to be okay with it.

    I hope you figure it all out too! If you find any magic answers, please post them :)

    ReplyDelete