Monday, December 13, 2010

Diary of a wimpy runner

Pre-workout eats: Cinnamon raisin English muffin
Workout: 13-minute attempt at dance aerobics, 20-minute kickboxing (both were OnDemand) and 1.25-mile walk with Denali.

I wimped out on my run this morning. Actually, I wimped out on my run last night.

With Snowmaggedon seemingly imminent and meteorologists threatening the fine folks of northeast Indiana with single-digit lows, I had a feeling that running was going to be less than enjoyable ... if possible. I was also certain that Mark would get a cancellation and he could entertain Denali, relieving me of exercise-the-dog duties and freeing me up to hang out with Exercise TV OnDemand.

Then I woke up. To reality.

It was 18 degrees, 9 degrees too warm for me to invoke a new role -- no running when it's below 10 degrees. We had snow but I had no idea how much (at the time). School was just delayed, which means things couldn't be that bad. I could run ... except that I already had it in my head that I wasn't going to run.

So I wimped out.

And to be honest, I'm kind of glad I did. While it wasn't dangerous, it still wasn't safe per se. There was a good few inches on the ground, wind gusts of 25 mph, the side roads (including my boulevard) hadn't been cleared and I still have a hole in my shoe.

I do want to make up for it, though, and am tentatively thinking of running at lunch tomorrow. Our lows this week are, like, 1 degree but it should be in the high teens, low 20s come noon. I can't skip all week because of my new rule.

Do you run at lunch? Any tips?

1 comment:

  1. You are not a whimp. If its 50 out, its a no go for me. Me = spoiled by the California sun.

    ReplyDelete