Friday, August 13, 2010

Stretching or lack there of

Pre-workout fuel: Slice of whole-wheat toast with peanut butter and half caff coffee.
Workout: Ran 5.65 miles in 51 minutes, 12 seconds; average pace, 9:03. Followed it up with 20 minutes of "Tank Top Arms."

It always takes me a good quarter-mile for me to find my "legs." I have to workout the kinks, any stiffness, settle into a groove. I have to find my breathing and let the dog workout some of his craziness. In that first quarter-mile, I have to reassure myself that, yes, I want to be running. After the first quarter-mile, though, I'm fine.

Usually.

Today, it took me a bit longer to find my legs. I'd call it a lingering stiffness in my thighs that kept me off target, feeling wise, for a good half-mile. And it was only with the help of a downhill at the half-mile mark that I began to feel good. Maybe it was the too long, too fast tempo on Wednesday. Could have been the 10-mile bike ride Thursday. Or, you know, it could be the fact that my stretching has been nearly non-existent all week.

I know, I know. Stretching is important. I know I should do it, and I know how to do it. I just don't make time to do it. I'm either making breakfast for Mark, trying to squeeze in some weights or running around trying to get ready for work because I woke up too late.

But you'll hear it here first - I'm going to do better. Starting Sunday, after my long run, I'm going to get in a good 15 minutes of stretching. I'll make it a priority next week, even if it means trimming some mileage or getting up at 5:45 a.m.

In other, less grumble-inducing, talk: My husband signed up for the half-marathon next month. Apparently, he couldn't bear to be a spectator once again. He's hoping to unleash his inner speed demon and so we won't run the race together. That's OK, though ... I'm taking the Garmin ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment