Monday, August 30, 2010

Buffet concert

The weekend is over. So sad because it was actually a good one. There was a successful WW meeting, a painted table, a trip to the Indian buffet, a decent movie, frozen yogurt, a good 10-mile run.

Oh, and did I mention the Indian buffet?


Oh, how I love the Indian buffet - nann, Chicken Tikka Masala, Saag Paneer and the dishes whose names I don't remember. It would be so easy to go crazy, stuff myself and leave feeling guilty. As I am starting to learn, there are a few tricks to pull out in order to enjoy your favorite foods.


Trick No. 1: I always start with soup. As long as it's broth based, it's often a low-cal, nutrient-dense option. I am a big fan of dahl, Indian lentil soup, which is high in protein and fiber. Dahl wasn't an option on Saturday so I stuck with a brothy chicken soup that was quite tasty.

Trick No. 2: Try a little bit of every thing, including your favorite dish. I filled my plate with veggie- and protein-filled entrees, leaving little room for rice. (Disclaimer: I did have Mark go back for more rice. I needed it to sop up some of the Chicken Tikka Masala sauce. So good!)


Trick No. 3 (and the most important one): Eat with dignity. It's easy, as a formerly obese person, to equate buffets with shame, embarrassment and guilt. It doesn't have to be that way. Eat what you want but only until you are satisfied. And sorry to say, satisfied doesn't mean finishing off the restaurant pan and asking for a third basket of naan. Satisfied means getting a taste and eating until you are satiated and not stuffed. It also means taking your time, enjoying those foods - not stuffing your face with such fury that you don't remember what you're eating. If you start to feel old habits or desires creep up, remind yourself that you DESERVE to eat with dignity.


And if that fails, push your plates in front of your husband and give him the option of finishing it off (or make him at least look like the gluttonous one).

No comments:

Post a Comment