Monday, July 12, 2010

Toast to success

Do you ever get a food stuck in your mind and you won't be satisfied till you have it?

Yeah, that's how I felt Sunday morning. After reading other bloggers eating French toast and my husband talking about it, all I wanted was a piece - or 10 - of French toast.

So after my run, I walked to the grocery and picked up some egg substitute and a Sunday paper and headed home to make a much-thought-about breakfast. I poured 1/2 cup egg substitute into a shallow bowl and added a healthy dash of cinnamon, a couple drops of vanilla and some Silk Almond Milk. I whisked it all together and got set to dip the wheat bread and get cooking.

That's when I had an idea. A genius idea born from Operation: Clean Out the Pantry. I took a handful of Fiber One cereal (that I've had far too long) and roughly chopped it in the coffee grinder. I dipped the bread in the egg, then the cereal and put it on the griddle.

French toast must be sprinkled with powdered sugar and drizzled with syrup.

What was put on the plate was crunchy on the outside, a bit gooey on the inside and tasty all the way around.

The only thing I might have done differently is processed the cereal a bit less. Of course, I'll probably find this out later in the week as I need to redeem my Operation: COP efforts. You see, I picked up a box of cereal at the grocery that my friend promised tasted like candied pecans found at the festival. So instead of being down one box of cereal, I am up one ... or two ... however you decide to look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment