Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Sweatness and light

Pre-workout fuel: Half slice of whole-wheat toast with apple butter and cinnamon roast coffee (I seriously can't wait for this coffee to be gone. Note to self: Buy only a half-pound at a time.)
Workout: Ran 5.04 miles in 46 minutes, 59 seconds; average pace, 9:19. Run followed by 20 minutes of upper body work and Tour de France viewing.

Weather.com had said it was 71 degrees and 91 percent humidity outside. Surely they were wrong, I thought to myself, as I walked out the door. It seemed a bit cool and breezy. The air ... well, it couldn't be cut with a knife.

"Silly meteorologists don't know what they are talking about," I said to Denali.

And so we set off, as if it was spring and the air was a mild 50 degrees and 20 percent humidity. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I started to feel the sweat dripping into my eyes as I rounded the 1.5-mile mark. By 2.5 miles, I was starting to bargain with myself as to whether 5 miles was really necessary. At 4.6 miles, I told myself to shut up, suck it up and get moving. The faster you go, the faster you finish.

A dead sprint to the house, and Denali and I called it a day. Well, Denali called it a day. I turned on the Tour de France while checking e-mails and opted to complete my arm workout on my own with Lance for motivation rather than turn on "No More Trouble Zones" or "Tank Top Arms."

Using 5-pound weights, I did 3 sets (12 reps in each set) of: bicep curl, alternating bicep curls, wide-grip curl, bentover row, tricep kickback, upright row, overhead press, alternating lateral raise, tricep extension and chest press. I even threw in some crunches for good measure.

I have to say it was kind of nice not listening to an annoying instructor go through the same routine over and over. Do you enjoy workout videos or prefer a solo attempt?

No comments:

Post a Comment