Saturday, July 24, 2010

New things turn up

There's a fruit and veggie challenge of sorts going on at WW. The first week, we were asked to fill half our plate with veggies and divide the rest between protein and carbs. Last week, it was adding more color.

This week? Try a new fruit or vegetable.

While the other two were quite easy because, well, I already do those things, this new challenge was just that. A challenge. I like to think that I have a diverse palate and have tried a lot of fruit and veggies, most of which I at least like if not love. Seriously. I love Brussels sprouts, asparagus, lima beans. As far as fruit, as long as it's not cantaloupe, I'll eat it. I wasn't so sure there would be much available for me to try as I headed out to the grocery after the meeting.

Turns out, I was wrong.

I was looking for ginger root when I saw a turnip. Turnip, turnip, turnip ... where had I seen those? Oh, yeah. Over at Peanut Butter Fingers, Julie makes turnip fries.

"I could make turnip fries," I thought to myself, and I picked up the root vegetable.

Once home, I peeled the turnip and sliced it into "fries." I sprayed them with olive oil spray and added a generous sprinkling of Old Bay. I figured that my love of Old Bay would mask any unpleasantness that I might find. I baked them at 415 degrees for about a half-hour or so until they looked a little brown on the edges.


I roasted some zucchini alongside the turnip and served it with a cold chicken quarter (leftover from a rotisserie chicken I bought the other day).

I have to say, I was pretty impressed. I did taste a lot of the Old Bay but the "fries" were a bit crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. Considering that a medium turnip has about 35 calories, I'll be eating these again. I just wonder whether I can slip them by my husband ...

What vegetable did you take a chance on and like?

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment