Friday, July 2, 2010

Life in the fast(-ish) lane

Pre-workout fuel: Half a PB&J on whole wheat and cinnamon roast coffee
Workout: Ran 5.06 miles in 45 minutes, 24 seconds; average pace, 8:58.

Numbers can be deceiving. As in, my average pace for this run makes it seem like I was uber fast (for me) today. Like I might have been running a 5K.

But I wasn't.

The majority of my run was in the quite respectable 9:10 to 9:18 range. Two of the five miles, though, clocked in at 8:50 and 8:20. Say what?!?

I'm not really really sure where that 8:50 came from. I knew I was in a good zone, as I reminded myself not to burn out too early, but I don't remember checking good ole Miles Davis (aka the Garmin) that much. The 8:20? Well, it was the last mile and I wanted to kick it up except at the end when/where I kicked it up, I thought I'd maybe hit 4.75 miles and not do a loop around the block to get to 5. I refuse to fizzle for the last quarter-mile so I just held on and went.

Let me tell you something, though. It felt good. It felt good to go fast, to soak in some of the temperate weather before it turns uncomfortable again and get in a good workout ahead of Fourth of July festivities.

And that confidence building, I was talking about ... it was good for that, too.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment