Monday, June 14, 2010

Toss the salad

Cobb salad has been on my mind for a week- ever since I put away the blue cheese (from my Blue Cheese Portobello Burgers). A bed of lettuce topped with tomatoes, red onions, hard-boiled egg whites, center-cut bacon, maybe some chicken and, of course, blue cheese. YUM!

Today being a meatless Monday, though, the bacon and chicken were out. If only I hadn't been too chicken to buy Quorn when I went to the store this weekend ... Anyway, I still planned on having the salad at lunch today, with just egg whites as protein, and called my husband from work, asking him to boil the eggs.

Problem: I forgot to tell him that I was coming home for lunch and wanted him to start the process right them. Oops. No eggs, no chicken, no bacon. Blue cheese alone does not a Cobb salad make. Knowing I needed some protein, I opted for the last helping of the black bean-corn salad on a bed of lettuce with salsa, homemade guac and a toasted tortilla with cheese.

(To toast a tortilla, heat the oven to 400 degrees. I use a low-carb whole-wheat tortilla. Feel free to use a pizza cutter to slice it into "chips" before toasting. I like to toast it whole, melt the cheese and then slice it.)

After lunch, I got ready to go back to work and assembled my afternoon snacks - a WW 1-point bar, some strawberries, radishes and celery sticks. I find that my requisite 2 and 4:30 p.m. snacks are a great time to fill the day's fruit and veggie requirements. Plus, the radishes have about 20 calories, the celery about 12 cals and the strawberries are about 50 - it's a lot of volume for very few calories.


Hope everyone is having a great Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment