Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Petal pusher

Pre-workout fuel: Slice of whole wheat toast with a smear of reduced-fat peanut butter and a few raisins
Workout: Ran 5.91 miles in 55 minutes, 53 seconds; average pace, 9:27.

The aroma of the lily is distinct and sweet. Nearly intoxicating. I caught the scent of the flower as I approached a seemingly unkempt yard on Columbia Avenue. There were unruly bushes and overgrown shrubs, all in a manic, organic design. The scent intensified as I was in front of the house and just as it was nearly behind me, I caught a towering lily plant in the east corner of the yard.

Beautiful. And perfect. Seemingly, a symbol of this morning's run.

The weather was a welcome respite from the sweltering heat and oppressive humidity of late. It was cool, about 65 degrees. Breezy. Overcast. The leaves on the trail seemed greener and the few rays of sun peeked through seemed brighter as they reflected on the river. I never felt too tired or my body straining. I let my mind relax and kept my attention away from the Garmin.

I just ran, and it felt amazing.

If I could have ran past that house on Columbia, over and over, I might have been able to run forever. Or a few extra miles, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment