Monday, June 28, 2010

Monday recovery

Pre-workout fuel: Cinnamon roast coffee before yoga, slice of wheat toast between yoga and strength
Workout: 30 minutes yoga, 20 minutes strength (more Tank Top Arms) and 2.5-mile walk with dog


I am not a yoga person. I don't like the soothing voices of instructors, I don't like think about it as a spiritual experience, I hate the music. It's all a bit too zen, and I don't do zen. I just don't.

Example:

I took a meditation class in college. The beginning of the 6-9 p.m. class was a silent meditation, which started with just a few minutes and grew to an hour. I began to sneak into class 10 minutes before the meditation was over because I couldn't sit still - and be quiet - for that long.

Nevertheless, there is value in yoga - stretching, learning to focus on breathing, a bit of active recovery. I know it provides some body-weight resistance and helps with the running. And Hal Higdon recommends stretching on Monday. I listen to Hal Higdon.

My problem is that I can't find a yoga practice (yeah, I can use the proper terminology) that meshes my aversion to yoga and my needs. My needs being stretching - not weight loss, toning, relieving shoulder pain, to be healed or whatever way people use yoga to sell DVDs.

I often use Sara Ivanhoe's "Joy of Yoga," and today I reunited with the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders. I feel like I need something more (~45 minutes) or at least different. I'm thinking of requesting a couple on Netflix to test out.

What's your favorite yoga DVD?

No comments:

Post a Comment