Wednesday, September 25, 2013

What a wise guy: Family dinners



"Mama, are you OK?" Miles asked with his strangely perfect grammar.

I nodded my head and tried to continue telling Mark the story from my stupid, stupid day.

"Mama, are you OK?" Miles asked again.

I tried to reassure him but the day wore on my face and I could not even muster an "uh huh."

Mark told Miles that maybe mama needed a hug. My little boy, resting on my hip, gave me a big hug. A big, big hug as he would say. He pulled back, looked at my face and hugged me again.

"Mama, are you calm now?"

I am trying to be, I thought. I am trying to be.

 photo null_zpsa8df7b92.jpg

If I have learned anything in the past 26 months of parenting, especially the last 6 months, it is never to underestimate a child. Miles never ceases to amaze me in his actions, abilities and his words. Especially his words. I know there was that whole Bill Cosby, kids say the darndest things thing but my child has had some real gems.

"Can I read the Bible naked?"

"Denali not going to the zoo today. He's just a doggy. Denali not going to zoo today. He's a bad doggy."

Miles: What does the Statue of Liberty say?
Me: I don't know. What does the Statue of Liberty say?
Miles Freedom

Of course, his zingers aren't so funny when he is staring down his plate of homemade chicken and noodles - and I mean homemade chicken and dumplings. I had baked the chicken, shredded it and made stock with the carcass for the soup. Fresh carrots and celery floated in the broth, with other flavorings simple - garlic, onion and salt. I made dough with whole wheat and white flour, rolled it out and cut it into thin dumplings that was sure to satisfy everyone at the dinner table.

But I've been known to be wrong. And this time I was.

"I don't like this. It's yucky. I want mac and cheese."

 photo null_zps84cce44f.jpg

While my discerning toddler had not taken a single bite, he was adamant that he did not like dinner and wasn't going to eat it. No matter how much I coerced, bribed, threatened, the dumplings remain untouched and the requests for mac and cheese persistent. He left the table without dinner, and I frustrated.

 photo null_zpsb623a159.jpg

It's a tough balancing act as a parent trying to get a kid to eat - and eat the things you want them to. Through their recipe destination, Campbell’s offers a fresh way to feed the family with kid-friendly recipes like Mini Chicken Pot Pies, and fun ways for your kids to eat tomato soup or chicken noodle soup.

While I like to keep processed ingredients to a minimum, it is nice to have some quick meals in he arsenal. I made the linguini with chicken and broccoli to a much better reception than the chicken and dumplings. Not only did Miles eat without protest, he was asking for more of the green stuff.

I guess that Campbell’s Wisest Kid knows a thing or two.


We all love sharing things about our kids—from pictures to funny things they do. Through the Wisest Kid, you can check out the fun way to tell everyone the “wise” things kids say. It’s super easy and fun and you can share it with your family and friends.

Disclosure: This post is part of a sponsored program via BlogHer. While I am being compensated for my participation in the program, the words and thoughts are my own and 100 percent authentic.

No comments:

Post a Comment