Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Sitting out

I wanted to run.

Last night, driving home from a semi-stressful work and listening to one of my favorite run songs on the radio, I wanted to run.

Forget the fact that it was 90 degrees and I’m one week shy of my due date and I officially quit running two weeks, I wanted to run.

My emotions were high and the idea of just heading out for the Greenway with some good music in my ears sounded sublime.

And then my belly grumbled, a glaring reminder that a run was not in the cards. Not even remotely.

I tell you this, about my urge to run, because you would think that such a desire would make me motivated to work out this morning.

But it didn’t.

Not even with a charged iPod and a cup of coffee made for me by Mark did much to get me going.

I sat on the couch. Got mad at “Good Morning America.” Threw a ball at Denali in the yard.

I made lasagna – one pan for tonight, two smaller ones for the freezer.

P1000918

I did dishes.

P1000917

Heck, I even took a shower.

And then I told myself that maybe, just maybe, I’d sneak away after dinner this evening and get a walk in on the treadmill. Heck, I might even throw in some weights.

What was your workout like today? Can you offer any motivation to get something in tonight?

6 comments:

  1. My workout for today will be a 4 mile run and golf.

    I'm so proud of you and your pregnancy... knowing that you ran through so much of it. I'm betting that if you get down with the treadmill and weights this evening you're going to feel amazing. And keep in mind that you have a week left to get in a few workouts before you end up exhausted (or so I hear since I don't have kids yet)...

    You can do it! Walk for 10 minutes and stop if you aren't feeling it (keep going if you are). I can't wait to hear what you decide to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You got a lot done this morning!

    I walked this morning, but without weights. Go for it tonight - inside or outside - even just 30 minutes! You know you'll feel good once you've done it (but I totally understand the lack of motivation).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote you rest for the last week of your pregnancy - you deserve a rest and it's certainly NOT coming after the baby arrives. Nope, I say have ice cream and couch sit!!!
    I'm going to run a few miles with my half mary class this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also lacking the motivation in this hot weather. urgh. But I think it must be more than the weather because I ran consistently last summer. All I know is that I am starting to get frustrated! Every night I say "Tomorrow is the day I will get up and run..." But then I don't. So I'm not going to be much help in the motivation department.

    But you did great for this whole pregnancy. I guess a walk/workout would help pass the time before the little one comes!! I'm sure you are getting anxious waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My workout was an early morning elliptical session with 20 minutes of weights. Then a 90 minute walk with some mommy friends.

    Okay, so I had a baby last summer. And in the beginning you'll be doing so much sitting; breastfeeding, pumping, bottle feeding, cuddling le bebe that you'll wish you could just get out anytime you want. So I'd leave the sitting for post pregnancy and walk, or hike or get out as much as possible. And it doesn't have to be a full on workout. Just enjoy the time and freedom you have to move without the burden of a jogger, carrier, what have you.
    Also, walking and endurance help with labor. Like everyone said, you have done such a good job, might as well keep truckin'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always tell myself that I'll go out there for 10 minutes. Then when the 10 is up I tell myself another 10 and do that till I am done with at least 30 minutes. I hope you find your motivation :)

    ReplyDelete