Monday, December 13, 2010

Times two

It’s been two years …

kiss

And you know what, I think I might still like him. Happy anniversary, babe!

It’s funny to look back on that day and think of all the excitement and nerves and embarrassment (I forgot to put on pants when I greeted the priest) – especially when today is just an ordinary day. Eat, workout, eat, work, eat, water break, eat.

Today, I look, ummm, like I dressed for the weather. Two years ago, I was playing the part of beautiful bride.

bride nice serious face yawn funny face

This year, I’m staring at a Steve Madden Blossom Satchel that Mark brought home from Macys yesterday. Just because. Two years ago, I was surrounded by beautiful orchids.

orchids

Two years ago, I had a Panera bagel, two chicken nuggets, a bite of roast beef and a solitary bite of cake because I didn’t have time to eat.

Tonight, we’re having this …

inout

The healthy version. Because Mark misses L.A. and I am short on time during the week.

Homemade In-n-Out Burgers, Animal Style

Onions

Canola oil

Lean ground beef

Mustard

Salt and pepper

Buns

1000 Island Dressing (I use low-fat Kraft)

Lettuce

Tomato

American cheese

In a saute pan, over medium to medium-high heat, add just enough canola oil to coat the pan. Slice onions and add to the saute pan. Cook the onions until the are soft and translucent but not caramelized.

Meanwhile, preheat skillet over medium to medium high heat. Form ground beef into patties. (I usually weight out 4 ounces of raw beef per patty. Mark gets two, I get one.) Season the patties with salt and pepper. Put a generous squirt of mustard in the skillet and slap patties on there. Cook for a minute or two and then press down meat. Do this only once. Flip burgers after two to three more minutes. Add American cheese and cook until the burger is no longer pink.

Toast buns and, if you’re feeling naughty, brush the tops with melted butter. Take the bottom bun and add ingredients in following order. The order is key!

Bottom bun

Dressing

Tomato

Lettuce

Patty

Onions

Top bun

I like to serve this alongside frozen fast-food style fries and lots of ketchup. I might even pick up a strawberry shake to share with Mark. Just because.

*All wedding photos were taken by Janelle and Shane of Happinest Photo – the best photographers on the planet.

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful bride. Love that you showed your sense of humor even during the craziness of wedding photos. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! Love your burger recipe!

    ReplyDelete