Thursday, August 26, 2010

Three Things Thursday

Pre-workout fuel: Peanut butter and jelly sandwich on whole-wheat and decaf coffee
Workout: Bicycled 10.69 miles in 57 minutes, 6 seconds; average speed, 11.2 mph. Also took The Boy (aka Denali) on a short walk and did 15 minutes of upper body with weights.

1. I woke up this morning in not the greatest of moods. Mark is getting up earlier than ever for school this year, and the alarm went off at 5:20 a.m. today. Sheesh. Sleep much? After lying in bed for another 25 minutes, I woke up and made myself some decaf coffee. I might as well get an early start to my bike ride (as opposed to lying in bed and wondering why I can't go back to sleep). I think I was off by 6:15. Let me tell you, it was dark and CHILLY. I think the weather dude said it was 55 degrees, and it felt like 45 on the bike. It made me wish I was running.

2. I don't have a light for my bike, which made me feel a bit precarious about going out so early. However, I slyly stole the fugliest jacket on the planet from Mark's days on the cycling team. It's one of those night jackets from Pearl Izumi in electric yellow. Let me tell you, I looked something fierce in it. Such a shame my SD card was left at work, and I couldn't snap a photo.

3. For some reason, when I'm cycling, I'm crazy hungry. I ate a PB&J before I left yet all I could think about on the ride was how hungry I was. I was even hungrier when I came home. And I nearly inhaled my Orange and Raisin oatmeal after my walk with Denali. By the way, those oats were GOOD. I don't know what the issue is because I rarely feel hungry when I run. What gives?

1 comment:

  1. I totally have this problem on the bike versus running, too! I think it's that when you run you're shaking your stomach up and down, which leaves it uninterested in putting anything in it (at least for a while). Whereas when you're cycling, you're burning but not disrupting the digestive system, so it's ready for FOOD! This is my personal experience, not a "technical" answer, but that's what I think the difference is.

    ReplyDelete