Thursday, June 24, 2010

Path least taken

Pre-run fuel: Slice of whole wheat toast with Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams and half a banana. Oh, and Cinnamon Roast coffee!
Workout: 6.75 miles, in 1:02:35, for an average pace of 9:15

"Don't pray for an easier path - pray for tougher shoes."

The quote was posted on the marquee of a hair salon that I passed along my route this morning. After two sub-par runs, the words really spoke to me (even though I think they were meant in a religious context). Sometimes you have to tough it out. Sometimes you have to dig deep. Sometimes you have to remind yourself that turning around isn't an option.

Maybe it was those words, what they meant; maybe it was rest; maybe it was the cinnamon coffee ... whatever it was, today felt good. Our route took us out-and-back on a fairly busy road but, thankfully, includes very few stops. We set a pretty good pace, and my husband asked as to whether I'd keep it up.

"We'll see," I muttered because, to be honest, I wasn't so sure. It was hot, humid. Even at 7 a.m. It was so bad that I seriously considered taking off my top and running in shorts and a sports bra. A scary, scary proposition. Remember how I need to work on my abs? Yeah. 'Nuff said.

I will say, though, that me going all indecent exposure isn't as scar as what Mark and Denali spotted.


A scorpion! I'm not sure I 100% believe Mark but both he and the dog saw something to freak 'em out. We crossed the street at the turnaround so I didn't get a chance to see it. You can imagine my disappointment, I'm sure.

Despite our brush with death, we cranked out a pretty good run. We were all pretty tired the second half but made it through and managed to run the last half as strong as the first half. Tough shoes!

Have you come across anything crazy on a run?

No comments:

Post a Comment