Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Hot fuss

Ran 4.79 miles at 9:11 pace
Pre-run fuel: Wheat toast (1 slice) with Peanut Butter & Co. Chocolate Peanut Butter (YUM!) and French toast coffee

I was so impressed with myself. I woke up before the alarm clock, and I even got out of bed. I started the coffee and put a piece of wheat bread in the toaster.

"This is great," I thought. "I'm actually going to get out early."

What a lovely thought. A thought that might have come true had I been able to find my shoes. I spent a good 10 minutes tearing through the apartment trying to find them and intermittently blaming Mark for their absence. He had to have put them somewhere weird ... you know, like under my purse in the butler's pantry.

Yeah. Moving on.

Mark and Denali joined me this morning, and we set out a pretty good clip. Mark runs fast, I run not-so-fast, and we usually meet in the middle. Denali just goes. Just a half-mile or so in, I noticed an older, lanky gentleman power walking in short red running shorts. Just the shorts. His arms were flailing at his sides, his shirt whipping in the wind as he walked around the addition. It was fantastic. I wish he would have joined us for the entire run for my amusement but alas that was the only sighting and the only interesting scenery the whole run.

The remainder of the miles were spent trying to keep pace, knowing when to fall back and making sure all of us got enough water in this super humid weather. By the time I got home, I was dripping with sweat. Seriously, dripping. If only the hose had been hooked up, I think we all would have done a sprinkler run.

Breakfast:

I planned to make oats post-run, so I put them on the stove as I got ready for work. Into the pot went: 3/4 cup Silk unsweetened almond milk, 1 cup water, 1/2 cup oats, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, a drop of almond extract and a drizzle of honey. Cook on medium/medium high till it bubbles and turn down to simmer. I add a lot of liquid to oats and cook it all together for a fluffier, softer consistency. I usually add a banana to the pot and peanut butter once they are done cooking but today I added chopped peaches at the end. And half a packet of Truvia.

Let me tell you, these were some good oats. They weren't overly sweet - just enough - and the cinnamon, almond extract and honey really complemented the peaches. Definitely will make 'em again, maybe with some apricots next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment