Monday, January 12, 2015

Meal Planning {Week 2}

I am not going to tell you what I had for lunch today. It was not good – on so many levels. Nutrition, flavor, quality. I should have expected as much, considering it involved a walk across the street to the hospital and an overwhelming, near sickening smell of sesame oil and a Styrofoam box.

Not good. Not good at all.

Despite the best of intentions, good planning and a successful grocery shopping trip this weekend, I failed to get my lunches prepared for the week. The Seattle Asian Salmon Bowl isn't incredibly intensive in terms of cooking, especially as I chose canned salmon based on convenience and a great sale, but my normal prep time was devoted to other things this morning. Namely, cooking organic chicken that I found on manager's special at Kroger.

I've never doubted that buying organic chicken would be a better choice for my family but it wasn't a convenient choice when shopping at my neighborhood Kroger. The addition of the Simple Truth line has helped but it was still cost prohibitive. However, after noticing some real differences in the quality of the meat (smell, appearance and taste) when compared with the value Heritage Farms brand, I've decided that organic chicken/meat needs to be a priority – even if it means less meat or cutting costs elsewhere so I can increase the grocery budget.

I took the first step this weekend with finding the sale, pairing it with a coupon and buying generic other things. It worked out. Except I had no lunch for today.

The lesson: Make lunches for the week on Sunday night, not Monday morning. Even if I want to sit on the couch and watch "Cutthroat Kitchen" while I eat a grape fruit bar.

 photo 7ca68a98-82f9-4c3d-87a7-15b2d7a7a68f_zps9db0873e.jpg
Gnocchi – ugly picture but oh so good

The menu for the week:

Lunch: Asian Salmon Bowl (will be adding edamame!) and Zero Point Vegetable Soup, a throwback from my Weight Watchers Days

Sunday: Gnocchi with vodka marinara (got pushed back from last week)

Monday: Enchiladas Suiza with salad and/or Spanish rice

Tuesday: Slow Cooker Risotto

Wednesday: In Laws

Thursday: Italian Orzo Soup (with chicken added)

What are you having this week?

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've got a great plan for this week! Funny you mention organic. Yesterday as I was doing my grocery shopping I also opted for Organic when available. I'm all planned out for the week as well. Hoping I do a better job of sticking to the plan this week. This past weekend my shit kind of just fell apart. I attribute it to the fact that I had a really long run and while I didn't eat a TON that day, what I did eat was terrible for me. But UBER convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy to me! I posted my meal plan on my blog today. I only prepped a couple day's worth though. I have a hard time believing that chicken I cook on Sunday will still be good for a lunch on Friday or that my salads won't end up a wilted, slimy mess. My lunch was definitely not filling enough though (huge salad with 3/4 cup baked chicken) so I've already started eating my snack of grapes. I'm hoping I have enough energy to run and lift after school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that organic chicken is expensive but worth it! Those not great meals happen- forgive yourself and move on. :)

    ReplyDelete