Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Weekly Training Update: 8/4-8/10

This week shall forever be known as the one that I remembered I'm preparing for a triathlon.

 photo 106D8F35-247E-405D-A4EA-5B9849A0F9A4_zps5jjjmqkz.jpg

Go me! Or, should I say, "Go Girl!"

I think I got in a solid week of training despite a few things in my way. Like the cold that Miles was so generous to share with me and my inability to keep my swim stuff in the same spot and kids who arrived at the pool for open swim 10 minutes early and decided to play in my lane.

As far as my swim workouts, I just swim as far as I can and then rest. Swim and rest. I don't do fancy drills or try to repeats at certain paces. After all, I have one swim pace - SLOW. I mostly go for distance and time. The triathlon is 500 meters, and I am trying to go at least that far when I hit the pool.

I would probably have a better idea - or at least more structure - for workouts had I hoped met with a swim coach the way I had intended. Alas, life and work had other plans. I did get a tip from friends who swam in high school. I just had to use the "ketchup" method.


Or catch up for the more sophisticated.

The week, in training:

Monday, Aug. 4
SWIM | 750 yards
It wasn't a great swim but I wore a nose clip, and it helped immensely.

Tuesday, Aug. 5
RUN | 5.86 miles
Time: 55:35     Pace: 9:29
Shit show of a run. My stomach was a mess, my nose stuff and just general fatigue. My plan called for 6 easy plus 4 strides but I cut it short by a half-mile.

Wednesday, Aug. 6
CYCLE | 10 miles
Time: 45:02     Pace: 13.3 mph
Interval setting on the indoor bike.

CROSS TRAIN | Weight supersets
I did four rounds, each with two exercises, that focused on the upper body.

Thursday, Aug. 7
RUN | 7.8 miles
Time: 1:10:50     Pace: 9:08
Schedule: 1 mile easy, 5 miles steady (MP to MP+30), 1 mile easy.

Details: I wasn't sure how this one would go. I had a terrible run on Tuesday, and I still have some congestion thanks to the toddler. But, I had a run date and figured I tried. Our goal range for the steady pace was 8:50-9:09. Splits: 9:17, 8:59, 8:44, 8:52, 8:46, 9:02, 9:33, 7:33 (9:28 pace) Nailed. It. I didn't feel super great at all but it was manageable. I had to laugh because the farther we went and the harder we worked, the less we talked. Still, nice to have company and keep me accountable.

Friday, Aug. 8
REST 

Saturday, Aug. 9
RUN | 8.44 miles
Time: 1:14:16     Pace: 8:48
Workout: WU; 2 x 3-mile at goal half pace w/3-minute rest; CD

I was scared of this workout - maybe more than I should have been - and so thankful my husband agreed to run the whole thing with me. Goal pace for the half is 8:42 to PR and probably no faster than 8:35. I figured we'd run the first block around 8:40 and the second at 8:35. But I should know better than to set paces like that with my husband. Goal pace splits: 8:35, 8:30, 8:36, 8:25, 8:25, 8:26

Sunday, Aug. 10
RUN | 12 miles
Time: 1:55:36     Pace: 9:38
LSD with the group

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great week to me. Thanks for sharing the ketchup. I swim way to fast because I think I need to in order to not sink. It's all quite ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been in the pool in forever. It's sad, really. Great week of training.

    ReplyDelete