Monday, August 25, 2014

Go Girl Triathlon {A Race Recap}


It's amazing how two letters can sting, how they can change the way you feel, how you want to look at yourself. I still feel them in the pit of my stomach, 48 hours after the Go Girl Triathlon.

 photo 615AC745-ADF7-4FBA-96DC-37ADCE44F125_zpszkgvjv2k.jpg

Pre-race. After work on Friday, Mark and I packed up my bike and headed down to Indianapolis. It was a sprint already as we knew that if we made packet pickup (5 to 8 p.m.), it would be close. And it was. I ran into Runner's Forum at 8:01 p.m. and was relieved to see dedicated volunteers handing out timing straps and goodie bags to us stragglers. It was unexpected and much appreciated, which would define much of my experience with the Tuxedo Brothers event.

 photo 0E383CDE-B2DD-46EF-8318-2358491B704A_zpsed0vcelv.jpg

Race morning. The Go Girl Triathlon was at Eagle Creek Park in northwest Indianapolis. Parking was a bit of a pain, as it seemed limited and far from the start - about a half-mile to three-quarter-mile walk.  As we put my bike together, I was feeling antsy that I wouldn't have time to check in, get marked and set up my transition area before the 7:30 a.m. mandatory pre-race meeting. Mark calmed me down, though, and as he promised, we managed with more than enough time.

 photo 29526CE8-780B-44A3-9E7F-A1B1B18DE4A1_zpshb2fgwhj.jpg

After all, it takes about 5 minutes to throw some crap on a towel. The only thing that took any real amount of time was unmating my socks and turning them right side out.

 photo BE719305-0009-4479-A5A0-E58DBC8467B9_zpsv2aajr5x.jpg

Swim. At 8 a.m., the announcer gathered the elites to the start and shouted go. One by one, participants crossed the mat, ran through the sand and hopped in the water. The swim was a staggered, individual start - with one racer going in every 2 seconds. Seeding was according to your bib number, which was based on how you ranked yourself on the entry form. I was toward the back, and I found myself near the beach watching the elites swim. Rather than a sense of calm washing over me, I felt fear. Anxiety. Trepidation. I made myself look away and headed toward the back of the line.

About 10 minutes after the start and with one elite already out of the water, it was my turn. I hopped in, and I tried to tell myself to relax. I tried to tell myself to take it slow. Swim evenly. I tried not to worry about the others around me. At first, it wasn't so bad. I remember kicking myself for not taking off my wedding rings but thankful the water was warm - 79 degrees. And then gulp. I swallowed a mouthful of resevoir water and started to gag. I stopped to tread water and calm myself but my breathing was already labored. I flipped to my back but it did little to ease my anxiety. I doggy paddled. I swam a poor breast stroke. I gulped. I choked again. I flipped to my back for the second time in 100 meters, and I was grasping for strength. I tried again to swim but the struggle grew.

In the distance, I heard a voice. "Are you OK?"

The truth: I wasn't. The kayak paddled next to me, and the volunteer urged me to grab on. And I fell apart. The disappointment. The frustration. The failure. It was drowning me.

I thought holding the kayak meant that the race was over for me, and the emotions sent my breathing out of control. When the volunteer asked if I could continue, I said no. And I knew it was the truth. A pontoon boat came over, and I went aboard. My race was done.

The volunteers aboard were kind and encouraging, doing all they could to ease the sting. Another participant was soon on board, and we exchanged a few disappointing remarks. The only thing I remember hearing, though, is the words of a volunteer: You can still continue.

They drove us near the shore, and we jumped out and swam ashore. I ran across the timing mat and headed toward my bike. The race wouldn't count but I needed to prove something. To myself.

 photo 3A39620D-4EA1-4B5A-893D-99DC5C4B0A7B_zpsasfluvpa.jpg

Bike. After spending what felt like 15 minutes trying to get my ProCompression trainers on my wet feet, I grabbed my bike and headed toward the mats. Some people were walking but I knew I needed to jog it - no matter how awkward it felt.

The bike course was an out and back, starting in the park and heading out toward the roads. There were hills - lots of rolling hills - as it wound through the trees. I would venture to say it was beautiful if I had been paying the course much mind.

But I wasn't. My focus for the entire ride was to hammer, hammer, hammer. If there was ever a point where I felt like my effort was easing, I made myself work, even if it was on the uphill. I would spot a cyclist and work to pass her. And one by one, I did. In fact, I spent nearly the entire 10 miles passing riders and was only passed by two women, both of whom I passed later.

When I rolled into transition with a time of 36:36 - nearly 9 minutes faster than I had anticipated, I was elated. I might not have been able to do the swim but damn if I didn't do my best on the bike.

 photo photo_zps46848491.jpg

Run. Transition was much quicker this time around, switching my helmet for my Nuun visor and taking off my Naawk sunglasses.

The run course started uphill, which might have been the meanest thing ever. My legs already felt like hell coming off the bike and challenging them with an incline was a doozy. But I was determined. I didn't want to be the participants I saw walking at the start. I wanted to run.

And I did. Much like the bike, I made my focus to run strong and steady - even though it felt like I was moving through sand. I didn't wear a Garmin and so my focus was purely on effort.

There was a water stop at mile 1, and I slowed to a walk to take in a cup. I had Nuun in my Nathan vest but I needed a change in flavor and the water tasted so good. Once I tossed the cup in the garbage, I picked up the pace and kept trucking. Another short walk break at mile 2 for water, and I continued on.

Just after that stop, I got passed for the first and only time. I had seen the woman on the way out, and she was hauling serious behind. I knew she'd catch up to me. After she went on, I just tried to pick runner after runner. It was getting harder at this point, as the temperature and humidity were high, but I needed to do something that I could be proud of.

It was a downhill to the finish (the bonus of an uphill start), and I crossed the mat. My time for the 3 miles was 26:49, an average of 8:56. It's by no means a record but far faster than a) I had "budgeted" and b) than the miles felt.

The finish was odd knowing that it wouldn't count. It was hard wondering whether I should actually take a medal (I did). It was sad to see Mark, who had such faith in me, and know that I didn't live up to that.

 photo 8C4929E0-1873-4918-9DB0-F98FFAF65B4C_zpsuyxptxaf.jpg

Post race. Waiting for me at the finish line were tubs of cold drinks - sparkling water, root beer and Diet Coke. I couldn't help but smile. Tuxedo Brothers, the event management company, sure knows how to cater to women. I grabbed a black cherry sparkling water and headed to the food tent where I grabbed a banana, chocolate milk and rice cereal treat. If anything, I figured I could share with Mark. Word was that there was Chick-Fil-A on the way but all I wanted to do was pack up and go.

Walking back to the car, my emotions were mixed. My heart felt heavy with a sense of failure. I had let down those who left supportive comments, wasted my in-laws' time (they watched Miles) and squandered the opportunity to be an ambassador for the race. For the first time in a long time, I could not finish what I started. But I was proud that I kept on. That I didn't get off that boat and just stop there. I was happy that I was strong on the bike and steady on the run.

I was happy I even tried.


  1. Great job nonetheless! You should definitely try another race... maybe one with a pool swim. I live those!

  2. You DID finish what you started. Sure you may not be considered an official finisher, but you did finish the race. I think it's incredibly impressive that you pulled yourself together and worked hard to push yourself through the rest of the race. It's a testament to your determination and strong will. If nothing else this was a learning experience.

  3. Great job finishing strong!! My friend has done races that are just bike and run - find one of those!

  4. You have nothing to be ashamed of. I think the only person you let down was yourself. How could you know the swim would go that way? You tried and you kept on and that's a win in my book. And DQ = Dairy Queen too.

  5. You did awesome and I remember you telling me a long time ago that swimming just wasn't your thing. You should be so proud of yourself for getting out there and finishing that damn race. Are you going to try another tri? Those things scare me :)

  6. You didn't waste anyone's time! You tried something! And that is fantastic they let you keep going, so you could do the bike and run! Those are some great times! Have you thought about doing a duathlon? :) (oops, Patricia mentioned that idea, too).

    I am sorry you had such a panic in the water :( Do you think you will do a lot more lake time for the next one?

  7. Your bike and run times are crazy amazing. I'm proud of you!

  8. you know how I feel about all of this. Learning experience. and you rock. and I'm so proud of you for kicking the bike and swim's ass.

  9. Nice job regardless!! I am glad that you didn't give up when the swim was hard! You may not have finished the swim but you did a heck of a good job biking and swimming!
    I think you just need more time in the open water! (and maybe a wetsuit!!)