Monday, May 20, 2013

Poppin' wheelies

Friday was Bike to Work Day so I decided to bike to work.

 photo null_zps2008058a.jpg

Sort of. Well, I mean I did bike to work but first, I had to drive my car with Miles in tow, dropped him off at daycare, drove home and then biked to work.

 photo null_zps1250bbd8.jpg

It definitely wasn't the greenest option but I did take the long way to work and biked slowly to take in the lush fragrance of the blooming lilacs. Plus, it was my workout for the day.

 photo null_zps2830c312.jpg

And taking Green Envy to work made me feel legit when I told Mark that he had to meet me at Fort Wayne Outfitters and Bike Depot for the Bike to Work After Party. Yes, he had to.

 photo null_zps4356e337.jpg

I have no idea why I was hell bent on going to this thing but I was and when my in-laws requested to take Miles overnight, it was a done deal. (Yes, I am lucky to have people who actually want to take my child from me so I can go to bed at 9 p.m. without worrying about whether flushing the toilet will wake anyone up.)

 photo null_zpsaca45342.jpg

There was food - chicken salad sliders, cheese, bruschetta, fresh fruit and these canapes things - and live music. All free, which had me totally stoked.

 photo null_zps286fe19a.jpg

Mark and I sat around for a bit, sipping nuun and enjoying the tunes, before heading back out on the Greenway. It's been forever since we've been able to ride our bikes together, and I forgot how enjoyable it is. A lot different than running together, which I do like, but I tend to be more carefree on the bike.

 photo null_zps86de0011.jpg

As we were child free, we decided that we should stop at the neighborhood cafe for more goodies. And conversation. And a cookie because cookies are apparently a requirement of cycling.

Excuse me while I find a century to register for.

Odd tangent: One of the things that struck me as, let's say, odd about Bike to Work Day as it was all such a novelty for me and I'm sure some of the others who participate. Yet, as I biked to work, I saw many who do it regularly because of financial and/or legal reasons. And they don't get celebrated with chicken sliders, music and cookies.

Odd tangent, part two: I think I want to ride my bike regularly to work come summer when I don't have to take Miles to daycare.

8 comments:

  1. My mom and dad went to a bike to work festival type thing, too! I was thinking about biking to my training session at 6 am Friday, but it wasn't safe in the dark. And I don't think I should ride my bike from the bedroom to my desk. LOL.

    Do you guys keep nuun made to drink as a sweet treat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wold love it if you rode your bike from bed to desk. Or maybe put it on a trainer and bike for 5 minutes while your computer boots up!

      We don't keep nuun in the fridge. Miles and Mark both think there are other tastier options, like strawberry milk. Blech.

      Delete
  2. I could bike to work everyday if I didn't have to haul my heavy computer bag. Work is only 1.5 miles from home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with bikes. I want one. I need one. but for me riding it to work would be a bit of a lengthy trip (20 miles and across state lines).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found my way to your blog thanks to 3 Rivers Running Co. mentioning you on their blog somewhere along the line. (LOVE that place!) Anyway, I've enjoyed reading through your blog & thought I'd pass that along ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's a great idea to ride a bike to work!! I totally would if I worked close enough. I have to drive over a big bridge and not the interstate - and it's about a 15 minute drive so it's not really an option for me. Glad you and Mark were able to spend some baby-free time together! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had a blast! I'd bike to work, but that may prove to be pointless. Maybe I could bike FROM work?! Jealous of your babysitter too... I enjoy flushing the toilet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun! I love biking with my husband and I just attached L's seat to my bike so I hope he likes it too. It's awesome that you can bike to work. When I worked it would have been impossible to bike through the Lincoln Tunnel. Hahaha. I couldn't even imagine :)

    ReplyDelete