Sunday, November 4, 2012

Girl's day out

There's no better gift you can give a friend than your time.


Well, that and a copy of "Run Like a Mother." Duh.

Note: I did not give my friend a back ho though that fine piece of construction equipment could come in handy when ... well, for something. I'm sure of it.


My gorgeous friend Heather celebrated her birthday on Friday, and today we got the chance to celebrate together. Without kids. Without husbands. Just us. And if you think it's no big deal, we could not remember the last time we hung out just the two of us. I'm thinking it's the 30-some minutes we spent on a 5K course in April.

Pretty sad, if I do say so myself.

As luck would have it, my name was picked in a Beauty Bar drawing at the Aveda experience store, helping us to mark the occasion. I wasn't quite sure what a Beauty Bar was but when I hear the words "neck and shoulder massage," I don't ask questions.


The Beauty Bar experience is much more than a massage. Greeted with a cup of Aveda Comforting Tea, we were treated to an aromatherapy journey, a stress-relieving hand massage, makeup finishing touch and a hair consultation.


For more than an hour and a half, we were scrubbed and rubbed, primped and pampered.


My hands were smoothed, my eyes were de-puffed.


A tinted moisturizer evened out my skin tone, and beautiful green shadows was swept across my eyelid. My locks, still wet from a post-run, shower were deftly braided into a chic style that I'm antsy to re-create.


More than getting dolled up, it was a learning experience. It was incredibly interesting to learn more about my favorite hair care and beauty company and the science behind the products. The consultant, Alisha, who helped me was incredibly knowledgeable and was quick to point out that health and wellness isn't just about eating right and exercising. It's about taking care of you, as a person. 


And today, Heather and I took care of us. Our friendship. And a couple little plastic cards.

Hello, new Mosscara (in Earth). I will wear you tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. That braid is so great! Totally jealous of your day - sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds like a perfect thing! any time i can get pampered, i'm in ;)

    love the braids - they are my go-to hairstyle when i don't have time to do much else.

    ReplyDelete