Thursday, October 20, 2011

Make this now: Breakfast barley

I have a confession to make.

I've developed a small dependency on those sugar-laden oatmeal packets. I know they are so not the best thing out there, junk masquerading as healthy, but I can't help it. The packets are convenient, make a great pre-run snack and are a great base for pumpkin oats. Oh, and did I mention they are convenient?

While my beloved slow cooker steel cut oats are also convenient, tasty and great with pumpkin, I had them for two ... three weeks in a row. Boring! I needed something new - something healthful and something not so full of sugar. And then, as if she knew I was on the hunt for a change, a co-worker mentioned wanted to try barley for breakfast.

Jackpot!

I had barley a time or two and loved it as a cold mix-in to yogurt but the gray, rainy weather had me itching to make a warm barley bowl.


Pumpkin Chai Slow Cooker Barley
Adapted from the recipe here

2 cups strongly brewed chai tea
1 cup apple juice (I used Motts for Tots, which has 40 percent less sugar)
3/4 cup barley
1 cup pumpkin puree
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Add all ingredients to slow cooker; stir. Cook on low for 8 hours or overnight. Enjoy with splash of almond milk and garnish with raisins, nuts or favorite toppings.

Have you ever tried barley? What's your favorite way to eat it?


2 comments:

  1. I make a really good barley, pumpkin, sage soup. It's a BHG recipe. http://www.bhg.com/recipe/soups/pumpkin-barley-and-sage-soup/. It's really yummy and not really complicated or time consuming to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmm I've only had barley in soups.

    This recipe looks delish!

    Unfortunately because of the juice and brown sugar, I'll have to wait until after baby is born.

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete